AuthorTopic: [WIP] JMBCreative Art's Pixel Progress  (Read 8076 times)

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] JMBCreative Art's Pixel Progress

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:43 pm
I don't know if I'd fully agree with 'scrapping outlines altogether' as I find sprites of this size sometimes need some outlining in places to make them stand out more and detailing of small sprites is one of the few things I find really interesting about pixel art and why I quite enjoy doing 16x16 sprites (my main game project uses a lot of them) more than any other size.  I suppose it depends on the sprite in question and the artist's ability to use the space well.

You're right of course and it was a poor choice of words from my point, Lineart would've been a better term to use perhaps . Clearly outlines can still be useful in seperating things, even my edit still has outlines to a degree. What I meant was that sticking to lineart (especially inside the sprite) can clutter it. :-[ Also nice edit! :y:

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 05:37:41 pm
You're right of course and it was a poor choice of words from my point, Lineart would've been a better term to use perhaps . Clearly outlines can still be useful in seperating things, even my edit still has outlines to a degree. What I meant was that sticking to lineart (especially inside the sprite) can clutter it. :-[ Also nice edit! :y:

Ah fair enough.  I liked your edit too by the way even though I had to brighten up the two darkest shades of green and brown because they looked almost black on my computer. :P

<Edit II: didn't look knightly enough, and did an animation :D lol got carried away, I'll stop now.

Very cool knights and no you can't stop. 16x16 sprites are addictive.  :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:51:04 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:24 am
Very cool knights and no you can't stop. 16x16 sprites are addictive.  :P
thanks  :D
and yes, yes it is they are

..... Midget Riding a labrador hahaha sorry OP :lol:
EGA palette too btw.
want to start a challenge/activity thread for 16x sprites if there isn't one already? that'd be hella fun ;D if there are any links?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:18:05 am by Grimsane »

Offline jmbcreativeart

• Pixelpolisher
    • View Profile
    • Pennans Vandring

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:36 am
Thanks a lot for all the amazing edits.

Here's the start of my spritesheet for the goblin as well as a 4-frame walk cycle. C&C always appreciated :)

Blog: pennvandring.blogspot.com
Portfolio: mburen.daportfolio.com