AuthorTopic: Twilight Sparkle is Amused  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Twilight Sparkle is Amused

on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:31 pm

Took me a few hours to make. The original pose in my concept sketch of this (that I did during standardized testing on a sticky note) was a plot shot (bronies will know what I mean  :lol: ), but I played with the pose a lot and it ended up like this.  Used 32 colors on this one, and since I know a few people here probably are more into larger restrictions than that, I kept a 16 color version from about an hour ago before I started Anti-aliasing and selouting.

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Re: Twilight Sparkle is Amused

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:37:58 pm
I love your works but I think you have a terrible obsession with that ponies. Maybe you could tell your psychologist
Well, I think the horn is a bit too small and I don't like how the round shadow under the pony looks. Apart from this, it's a really good work.
I watch it for the plot pixel!
(Ah, you don't have to post it 2x, clicking on the image increases the size)

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:12 pm
I love your works but I think you have a terrible obsession with that ponies. Maybe you could tell your psychologist

...  :-\ I'm going to pretend that wasn't said :P

Well, I think the horn is a bit too small and I don't like how the round shadow under the pony looks. Apart from this, it's a really good work.
I watch it for the plot pixel!
(Ah, you don't have to post it 2x, clicking on the image increases the size)

Indeed, I might need to lengthen the horn.  I added the shadow just for fun; I think it looks better with than without.  I'll try using a lighter shade with it in my next edit and you could then decided if it looks better :)  As for the size, I just hotlinked it from dA, where I always scale up everything at least 2x; I'll be sure to make my edits normal-sized, though.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:40:04 am
Just a quick edit mainly trying to address the lighting. You can ignore most everything else—I was just messing with her expression, and it got a little out of control.

So yeah, just a couple small changes. The front legs didn't feel quite symmetrical, so I tweaked them a little bit. The more important part of my edit, I feel, is just adjusting some of the shadows. Right now your shading seems almost isolated to each limb and body part. What I tried to do was be more conscious of how the different parts of her body would affect each other in terms of shadows and highlights.

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:01 am
Just a quick edit mainly trying to address the lighting. You can ignore most everything else—I was just messing with her expression, and it got a little out of control.

So yeah, just a couple small changes. The front legs didn't feel quite symmetrical, so I tweaked them a little bit. The more important part of my edit, I feel, is just adjusting some of the shadows. Right now your shading seems almost isolated to each limb and body part. What I tried to do was be more conscious of how the different parts of her body would affect each other in terms of shadows and highlights.

Haha, yeah, you did go a bit overboard in some places ^_^  I notice what you were trying to bring about in the shading; I think a compromise between what I have so far an what you did would make my piece a bit better.  Slightly unrelated, the facial structure of your edit makes her look like a G1 or G2 pony  :lol:

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:36 am
Yay! More ponies!
I think her eyes are too square, considering this almost a profile shot the eye should be really ecliptic.
Looks extremely cute, well done!

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:35:21 pm
Yay! More ponies!
I think her eyes are too square, considering this almost a profile shot the eye should be really ecliptic.
Looks extremely cute, well done!

I think you're right; my only excuse is that the hardest part of drawing ponies for me are the eyes :lol:  I'll play around with it some for sure.

And thanks!  Brohoof! (\

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 05:57:39 pm
I think eyes might be the easy part for me.
Getting the anatomy correct on the other hand.

I started drawing this applejack, but then I realized the resolution was a bit too high, haha :D

btw, this is how I think when drawing eyes.

I think it's only twilight and rarity who have those sharp corners, everyone else has sorta rounded ones.
It even changes based on face expression.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:19:06 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:34 pm
Thanks for that eye diagram; didn't think about the eyes in that way :P I always just jot in a pixel cluster of white, and keep on shifting the edges around until it looks about right.  Thinking about it like that would save *so* much more time.

As for your Applejack, the anatomy is actually pretty correct, just that the front leg facing us needs to come forward more, and her back legs look a bit too thin near the top.  The face is absolutely excellent ^_^

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:22:39 pm
re: the shadow: intuitively, it feels like the shadow should be squashed vertically. She's not a marshmallow, unlike Rarity :)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.