AuthorTopic: GR#140 - Magic Fire & Ice - Animation  (Read 21235 times)

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Magic Effects (fire)

Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 12:21:19 pm
I'm resuming working on the magic effects. Now ice.
So here is Frost Touch, Ice Shard, Deadly Frost wich turns monsters into ice cubes and some familiars.

How does the ice cube looks to you? I've studied some references, and tried to simulate with the pallete I had, but I'm not satisfied and I've ran out of ideas. I can't make it all shiny and transparent, because it will appear on different sorts of levels.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:31:18 am by Sohei »

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Magic Effects (fire+ice)

Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:10 pm
I don't like how his head turns in the ice effect. It seems like he is unable to control it.  Much better was the fire effect animation's head. In miming the action at my keyboard I notice perhaps it is natural to look in the direction of your hand at the end, but the movement of the head on the neck is so quick, it doesn't need any frames in between.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 12:42:35 am
New cube.

Offline Nightblade

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 01:59:32 am
Might be a neat idea to have him do a bit of a different stance for Ice attacks. The fluid arm swipe suits fire well enough.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:20 am
Might be a neat idea to have him do a bit of a different stance for Ice attacks. The fluid arm swipe suits fire well enough.
It is indeed a neat idea, I'll see what can be done. I hope my imagination will give a hint on how to handle it better.

Also, here's an update on ice effect.

Offline Nirel

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 07:59:20 am
What about raising his hand instead, or using both hands?

Offline Nightblade

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 02:15:22 am
What about a powah geyser?

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 06:37:09 am
Nightblade
Oh, I can try that. How does it look?

Nirel
Good ideal. I can try that one too.
All
And speaking on this, I would like to raise gamedesign question, If it will not be offtopic here, though it directly intersects with battle animations.
How do you evaluate current battle system? Right now I have some type of close range battle (fire touch, a main weapon for 15% of a game) which is inferior to actual sword play, because there is combo stacking, blocking and parry. A combat will look like: single hit and run.
When long range weapons will be acquired it will transform into some inferior type of Contra, except that enemies doesn't spawn from camera side. A combat will look like cowboy duel: who fires first and dodges damage.
I begin to doubt, that a platformer about a mage was such a great idea. Can I still draw some fun out of the concept?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 07:08:21 am
I'm interested in your game design discussion, but I'm a bit unclear what you mean.
I think your English and your reference to Contra (2 perspectives) isn't helping.

Are you considering changing the perspective for ranged battle to be some kind of 1st or 3rd person view?
I hope not.

I've already done some thinking (too much  :crazy:) on how to make ranged battle more interesting and in depth for a 2D sidescroller, as opposed to the quick thrills coin munching arcade style that I think you're refering to.
But I think much of this depends on your options for control scheme (controller vs touchscreen), what kind of attacks/weapons you are thinking about, and what kind of enemy behaviour you had in mind.
Input options for touchscreens are horribly limited though >.<

Feel free to PM if you want to chat on about it...

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:04 am
Decroded
My English is not very good. I'm asking an apology If I'll write confusing stuff.

Your point is correct. I should've explained controls, genre and monster behaviour.

Genre - Metroidvania.
Controls - keyboard. Z - jump. X - attack. ↑+X - secondary attack. A, S - brings sub menu to select another weapon and secondary weapon. Spacebar - probable backdash

Skill progression chart

Complex magic spells require some time to be cast.

For monsters, I have plain walkers right now. My knowledge doesn't hint how should I balance combat: starting from monsters or fighting capabilities. So I'm making random guesses.