AuthorTopic: GR#139 - Dragon - Sprite Process  (Read 13533 times)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Help with Dragon

Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 09:13:43 am
Quick edit/paintover while I've got a minute (more edits in the works, loads done, if obsolete) taking into account the advice of Tourist, Sohei, PixelPiledriver among others.

If it seems overblown compared to what you were going for, don't let that discourage you. There is some basic important stuff here to take note of.

Notice how in the edit, none of the limbs mirror each other. One leg higher than the other and more subtle repositioning on the arms and bat-wings. This asymmetry is there in your version, but it's stiff and 2-dimensional. The arms especially look mirrored, lighting included. Generally the anatomy around the shoulder area is way off so you can afford to redraw that at least.

Basing the pose around a line of action will make the image more dynamic and dragon-like as a whole, and fix the random tail placement which I'm seeing.

Starting with 2 colors per material with a large brush (>4px) as I did makes it easier to block out lighting. Here it's top-down, lighter and more detailed towards the source/focal point, darker as it recedes. The left wing bending towards the light is the exception, but that may be more advanced knowledge so you can leave it out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:18:01 pm by pistachio »

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:23:07 pm
Man, exams going on so didnt have time! Anyways, today I am not in the mood to study so gave two mins to this:

After looking at your super awesome 'quick edits' I feel intimidated  :-[

Anyways, I really do not start from scratch and also I think I am not able to make it 3d.. Time to use references and work on this again.
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 04:00:44 am
After looking at your super awesome 'quick edits' I feel intimidated  :-[

Anyways, I really do not start from scratch and also I think I am not able to make it 3d.. Time to use references and work on this again.

Don't sweat it, it just takes practice.

The 2 min skeleton is fine so scale it up and keep going. Starting off with a large brush and blocking in, using references, not just dragons but real examples, bats and lizards like Decroded mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:12:50 am by pistachio »

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 02:44:00 pm
Thanks for motivating Pistachio :)

As you said by blowing up the skeleton and then drawing on it and so I did. However I lost connection for a while(again) thats why couldnt get references. I'll find and save them now!

I really feel it has transformed a lot!
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 03:15:15 am
It can be a more interesting and balanced pose if you drop the shoulder above the higher hip, and raise shoulder for the lower hip.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 04:37:49 pm
It helps a lot to focus at the rough shape of things while constructing them.
I would suggest a triangle composition instead of a T.
It adds more stability to the creature, underlining its massiveness.

You should also put it on a surface by adding a shadow beneath it so we can tell if -for example- the tail is on the ground or not.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:47:09 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix