AuthorTopic: demoscene inspired wip  (Read 5355 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

demoscene inspired wip

on: June 09, 2006, 01:11:25 am
sortof.

the biggest problem I'm having is what to add to it, and what not to add to it. I've never worked with this many colors before, either. It's much harder trying to find a use for so many colors than it is only using 16.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: demoscene inspired wip

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 01:32:15 am
the middle element is much stronger than the one on the side, draw out a little scetch on paper before you continue.
like it so far tho!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 02:41:05 am
Yeah, totally agree with Ryu. Looking great so far, but plan plan plan. Nothing worse than getting countless hours into a piece this size only to realize you've no idea where to take it.
Other thing is that you shouldn't have a hard time placing the colours. Use a ton, sure, but don't add 'em just for the hell of it. A larger palette should still be made up of necessary colours.

Keep it up. Don't think I've mentioned it yet, but your rate of improvement has been astounding. Looking forward to the finished piece.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 07:28:23 am
Use a ton, sure, but don't add 'em just for the hell of it. A larger palette should still be made up of necessary colours.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem; finding a use for that many colors. I suppose I could get around to sketching something up, right now I'm pretty much refining what I do have [I plan on killing off that face off to the side soon; even if it wont be displayed doesn't mean I didn't learn something from it.]

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 12:54:59 pm
Ditch the profile face- it seems really random, and the anatomy of the face is scewed. His nose is squashed in, his eyes dont seem to follow the profile view, and he has no chin. The center helmet looks wicked, but whats happening in his eyes?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 06:19:15 pm
I'd say work on a sketch of the whole thing--on paper at least-- before you go any further.  For a piece like this composition is extremely important.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 06:21:22 pm
Plus, seeing bigass canvasses with only two small heads done is getting really old.  People here have a terrible habit of posting incredibly unfinished pieces.  Drives post quality way down imo.
typing ewith fdace

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 08:42:34 pm
Tip: When doing something big like this sketch the entire thing out first before doing any colour work, then maybe do some rough shading in a few grayscale colours, then start refining and adding colour.

Also wait with most of the aa until the very end. When you add colour you often add a colour which you could have used in an aa ramp somewhere but you have aaed before you added that colour so you would have to check all your aa, and that's not very efficiant.

keep it going
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 11:05:49 pm
if this is just practise, keep going. If however you want to do a piece of art, then I have to ask, do you know what you want to draw? what to express, in what way? If you're making it up as you go along you're going to have to deal with a lot of grief on that end later on.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 04:29:37 am
Ditch the profile face- it seems really random, and the anatomy of the face is scewed. His nose is squashed in, his eyes dont seem to follow the profile view, and he has no chin. The center helmet looks wicked, but whats happening in his eyes?
The face on the side was really just a time waster, it's gone now. the eyes were just fillers, I changed them, but I'm not liking them like that much either.

Quote from: Darien
I'd say work on a sketch of the whole thing--on paper at least-- before you go any further.  For a piece like this composition is extremely important.
I'll agree that I should've thought it out before I even started it, I've never done anything on this scale before, and that's just an excuse so I don't feel so bad.

Quote from: Goat
Plus, seeing bigass canvasses with only two small heads done is getting really old.  People here have a terrible habit of posting incredibly unfinished pieces.  Drives post quality way down imo.
The only reason I posted this at places was so I wouldn't leave it unfinished, I wasn't exactly sure how far I should've gone into it before posting it.

Quote from: ptoing
Tip: When doing something big like this sketch the entire thing out first before doing any colour work, then maybe do some rough shading in a few grayscale colours, then start refining and adding colour.
While I agree most AA'ing should be done near the end, it's kind of an automatic thing for me, I'll work in one area at a time, and patch up any surrounding areas while I'm at it. I've tried the greyscale thing before, but I really can't work like that.

Quote from: Helm
if this is just practise, keep going. If however you want to do a piece of art, then I have to ask, do you know what you want to draw? what to express, in what way? If you're making it up as you go along you're going to have to deal with a lot of grief on that end later on.
I would say at my level of skill everything is practice. I don't consider myself good or great, just learning with everything I make, there are pieces I've seen that really blow my mind. While most people study I just experiement and see what feels right. Most people would would probably say thats the wrong way to go about things.

I can't really say what I've updated since my last post, I tend to save and upload constantly as I work.