AuthorTopic: random pixel doodles  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

random pixel doodles

on: May 20, 2012, 04:50:57 pm
generated a few random 5 colour palettes, picked 2 of them for a 10 colour palette and just doodled freehand.
and i got internet now, like actual plugged in internet, for the first time ever. so figured I'd share, and try participate more.

I challenge/encourage anyone who has the time to try using the same palette  :lala:

hopefully i get some community comments/involvement so i can motivate myself to get back into pixeling more, and keep it fun. pixeling in isolation gets kinda boring and isn't very thrilling :watev:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:18:37 am by Grimsane »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: random palette pixel doodle

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:29 pm
Actual plugged-in internet!? Let's not get too crazy now!!

J/K   Welcome back to the Land of the Interwebs.  Your first Interweb task is to browse this, everyday. At your own peril, of course.

____

I do like the gremlin head. I might make the bottom jaw edge a better-defined line. The gradual diminishing slope of the cranium is good, but the jaw seems like it ought to be s sharper edge.
Palette is cool. Random generated palettes, or any arbitrary palette (by that I mean, a palette not created with specific or meaningful context to the image it's to be used for) are cool for practice, but I've always thought it best to handcraft your palette for the task at hand.

If you're wanting to get into the whole pixel scene a little bit, you're at the right place. I suggest you make a habit of giving critique to others and doing edits of their work. This gives you something fresh to work on and helps you understand others' methods, which can be of great benefit.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:04:25 am
 thanks ;D and that's the host I use, it
s too vast I can't find pixel art on it O:

messed around a bit more during lunch break.

and a lil more just now think i overworked it?

oh and you'll might be interested to know I've persuaded the faculty at my college to allow me to do my current animation assignment in pixels... apparently no student has done pixel animation before. wish me luck :D hopefully i can pull something decent off, might even do a WIP thread on it.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: War Badger

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31:07 pm
just continuing to randomly pixel... war badger?

Update:

and oh shite only noticed i double posted, sorry  D:
Update 2:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:53:10 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:35 pm
I don't think you overworked the goblin, but his nose is crooked.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:38:30 pm

Though I guess a crooked nose would be typical for a goblin!

I like werebadger, though the lighting of the abdominals in the latest update seem too even. It looks a bit pillow-y. Generally it's coming along nicely!

and oh shite only noticed i double posted, sorry  D:

Don't worry about that if it's your own thread. If you have an update to show, it makes sense that it would pop up on top of the thread list (which it does when there's a new post in it). Oftentimes I don't bother to click on a thread further down in the list even when it says "new" on it, because sometimes it's just some invisible edit (like maybe a spelling-fix) in the last post.

Maybe that is just me, though.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:24:42 am

Though I guess a crooked nose would be typical for a goblin!

yeah exactly i was trying to push the asymmetry as, and steer away from a proportionally mirrored face, i guess it's the main reason my random face scribble morphed into a goblin :crazy:

I like werebadger, though the lighting of the abdominals in the latest update seem too even. It looks a bit pillow-y. Generally it's coming along nicely!

yeah I was thinking the same, i was trying to define the muscles mainly, but i got the same feeling, i also played with a couple lighting scenarios on that region and it looked a bit shiny, i think i should repeat it with this more subtle highlight tone, and his foreground shoulder is bothering me a tad too, will probably adjust that a bit too :)

and yeah thanks for sharing, that stance on double posting makes sense.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

[NUDITY] random pixel doodles

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:06:43 pm
figured I'd avoid another thread and use this, can someone change the topic name? drop the palette and add an s to the end or something, or can we change topic names ourselves?  ???

still early WiP if it wasn't obvious.

and can I ask feedback on this:

I'm trying to form some good habits regarding progressive gifs, are the changes too close or far apart? or is it really irrelevant, I just like seeing paintings form and figured others did too  :crazy:

i'm doing it in layers in Gimp, duplicate layer every so often so each layer becomes a frame, but I have a habit of forgetting to do it, sometimes getting 80% done before realizing, also I had to copy undo a few dozen times and paste to new layer with this one a few times :yell:

started going toward a guy with a bandana and now flowing into guy in a helmet, but considering doing a statue

also change the title to nudity if minimalistic nudity classifies :lol: was a really sloppy doodle from some point in the last week, but after spotting it again I figured it might be worthwhile and artistic enough to submit to my PJ gallery thoughts? and what do you think of the style etc?

also noodled him a bit since last time figured I'd update:

Update:

gah, looking abit flat now, gonna try lighting it differently.

further experimentation:
pushing the palette around. the right 2 are me messing with using symmetry on a assymetrical piece to create variations that have different traits, also there are a couple frames from my progressive which have a look I might isolate and evolve into separate portraits, variations on a theme i suppose,  got quite a few ideas in my head, but now to work on helping with the tutorial, weekly challenge and my animation course  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:39:54 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: random pixel doodles

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:29:02 am
been putting of posting this until I had something to go with it, might as well post another WiP

this was the evolution of that guy from the last update, and it was done a day or so after said update,
just experimenting with cluster shapes, not consciously influenced by anyone, but yeah I'm aware it's nothing new..

that hand is scribbled for clarification just incase anyone thought of mentioning the fingers not reading as 4, and slightly earlier iteration and some fun to the right :lol:
based on this 20-30 minute small speed paint I did prior

not happy with portions of it but will keep pushing, trying to push subtle angles and a semi dynamic pose, doesn't look quite natural yet any criticism or critique welcome
and thanks to cyangmou for an awesome edit that has actually got me thinking of making an alt going in an entirely different direction

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: random pixel doodles

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:21 am
Wow! Great rendering on that troll. And a man who actually looks like he actually has something between his legs--what a novelty!  :lol:

There's something about the hips... they are very wide and round compared to what would be normally found on a man of his musculature. The bottom abs also seem overly defined, making his obliques(?) look more like his Apollo's belt, giving the impression of low-rise jeans. His right arm look sinewy compared to his left, and the head looks dislocated rather than lowered. The one with the troll facing left looks a little better in that regard.

Based on the hips being even more prominent in the rightmost one (cyangmou's edit?), you may be going for a female character now, but even so, I tried my hand at an edit (based on the one with the sword and shield).

Most of what I mentioned is not evident in the original sketch, so more than likely it's just a matter of it not translating as well to pixel form without some extra work. Personally I prefer the male troll, but either way I'd like to see what you end up with. ;)