AuthorTopic: GR#102 - 45° Plan Projection  (Read 23698 times)

Offline Mùller

• @Iv_Mii
    • ivenmiller
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38271.htm
    • ivenmiller
    • wolvesonpray
    • arttxel
    • View Profile

Re: some works.

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 01:50:23 pm
I mean, really think there's three games this angle "45" the father is the famous ultima  seven.
:D

It assumes you're seeing the character from top to bottom at an angle of 45 °, then it may seem strange to you.
This is a basis for a character I am creating. :-[

The Blue Monster, was to be a sea monster, it really was supposed to be on a blue background like he was on the sea or out of the water. :P

thank you for comment, any tips on my character? :-*

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 04:00:21 pm
I actually played this game, but I don't remember it looking this..  nauseating!  Almost feel a bit of vertigo looking at that screenshot.   :-[

Your assets all look good though! 

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:31 pm
Once you've gotten used to the perspective your brain filters it just fine.

Generally, I would recommend that you try some stuff outside of the Tibia/Zezenia genre.  I have the feeling that Pixelation folks will be more able to help with things that are within a less idiosyncratic style, and even if that's all you want to do the principles transfer pretty directly. 

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:24:49 pm
Again, great work with only a few months experience under your belt :y:, If you can handle this rather esoteric projection then simpler orthographic views shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting discussion here, 'Perspective 45' is a fairly apt moniker, It just looks like an uncommon type of plan oblique/military projection (labelled as ½ in Grimsanes diagram aka 1:1 isometric) rotated so the verticals (as oppose to the plan) are at 45 degrees. For example:

Edit - Added an actual Boktai screen example; my point being that they're basically the same thing, and I quite like it :).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:13:44 pm by Facet »

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 06:36:52 pm
I think only unusual thing about your 45 degree characters that they look quite ok from front or back but when you turn them sideways they give feeling of toys/figures instead of actual in game creatures, I'd suggest you to go for UO isometric degree which should be pretty close to Boktai game that facet mentioned, but thats because I think it would be easier for you to pull off while making things look like they are actually there and I'm a big sucker for UO type isometric games :), other than that if you enjoy/really want to make Ultima7 like angle like I said I think sideway characters looks bit unusual but again that might just be me, else looks fine to me.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:25 pm
your
This is a basis for a character I am creating. :-[
his legs are too low, his torso is elongated, its extremely difficult to work convincingly within this perspective and I bet it could even baffle seasoned pixel artist (of which I'm far from being). and especially without refering to existing game sprites of any "perspective 45" game, here is my hurried attempt to see if I could improve upon your base, and I found it rather difficult, and there is an inherent tilt due to having to adhere to the square grid and match that awkward axis, It's quite something to tackle immediately in pixels I'll give you that :P and also just to mess with your mind, I arranged it like this too :crazy: which isn't so insane, (minus the perspective of the sprites) Zelda does this for the top down dungeons and a few other games also, birds eye oblique projection?

the one under the green dot is the one i made an effort with. I think one of your problems is that you need to use darker tones to reinforce the depth of the sprite, and in some cases you have details of equal brightness on their lower halves, making the depth confusing, and the pixels are offset by 1 pixel, which sounds easy to fix but ruins the edge flow you established, also my edit got shorter as a side effect of trying to correct the issues, and I couldn't easily re-enlarge without causing yet more perspective issues.

and I'd prefer boktai style 45° perspective, atleast it'd be easier to do sprites, having a diagonal angle is easier to do perspective-correct legs on for one.

there aren't many games that do it, the original jagged alliance, earthbound, boktai and uhmm ultima can't think of any others. the intention of using non topdown projection schemes is theoretically to give a greater sense of 3 dimensional depth lacking in 2D games, and I can see why not many use this, because it's not the most convincing :lol: and difficult to pull off naturally

Offline Etchebeur

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 11:08:19 pm
In perspectiva45, there is a shadow inside the sprite that creates appearances as the dark underside of the arm because in p45 the cube works like:
Because the light comes from the northwest. I believe it contains aspects of isometric and top down, the light works in more interactive object, that is, depending on the volume and position the light will behave differently  :blind:

Redshrike: do the red eggs silks!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:10:13 pm by Etchebeur »

Offline Mùller

• @Iv_Mii
    • ivenmiller
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38271.htm
    • ivenmiller
    • wolvesonpray
    • arttxel
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 12:20:55 am
oks, several examples and constructive criticism I liked a lot. :y:

@ Redshrike ok '-' I love pixel art, and treat all angles / vision / perspective is the same way 45, 90 .. etc..

Art is art. :-\

@ Facet'm amazed this game botkai had never seen and liked :D the way that it, I will do according to his example a character botkai, thanks for the tips. :y:

@ Numlock really is! :crazy:

@ Grimsane think there is the same rule to align the shoulders, arms, knees, legs and feet. not sure about this rule if I'm wrong correct me, but had never heard about botkai I really liked! seems less strange than the prospect of the last 7 thanks for the tip. :P

@ Etchebeur '-' ... \ o / is actually ps45 on the basics that I learned with you, since already agradesço Etchebeur for helping me so far. :-[

a small attempt from another angle is 60º? not sure about it I did it without help from anyone and not examples just tried to follow the rule I do at 45º align the members, :crazy:

painting is not important, is actually just a scribble. any tips on this angle? :-[
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:23:48 am by Mùller »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 04:30:58 am
looks relatively correct, nice. but in relation to Games, that wouldn't tile. it would if it was like this however:

Edit: and just incase anyone was interested, this would be Ultima-logic perspective at that angle.

so no your latest wouldn't fit into any form of 2D game style projection. but you should try doing a scene utilizing your knowledge on perspective, give it a dynamic perspective, and try to do an interesting artistic scene ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:46:58 am by Grimsane »

Offline Etchebeur

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 05:05:40 am
Grimsae, as I said, p45 is a fusion of isometric and top down, and as you said a dynamic perspective...since the floors is like top down and the objects like isometric;

thats is how wall works
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:40:59 am by Etchebeur »