AuthorTopic: Let the computer aesthetic burn your mind!  (Read 25888 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Let the computer aesthetic burn your mind!

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 02:28:31 am
how can your arms be "too thick?"

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 03:02:15 am

more work. more work. About halfway done. Now the boring stuff starts. Detail and tweaking all over, for only a 5% conscious difference at viewing. But eh, it's pixel art after all.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 03:10:03 am
im guessing he focuses on the upper body a tad bit more than the lower ? :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 03:19:25 am
I think the shoulder melds into the neck too much and perhaps the shoulder could jut out a bit more.

I do this CONSTANTLY, heh. Annoyed by this error. I already outed it a bit, but I'll probably do it more. Realistically, it would require a reposition of the chest too, but eh.

(the one on the arm is more interesting, though totally different than the other, incompatible styles, if i may)

not so incompatible. See everything coming halfway slowly?

but the bicep/tricep area all the way down to the elbow on the left arm is too big/thick, while the muscles are undefined, and the curvature of the leg in the back makes it look almost broken.

both good points. I'll work on the arms more, probably tighten them up a bit. Leg already touched to adress the point. Work?

im guessing he focuses on the upper body a tad bit more than the lower ?

You mean as if he worked out or something? This isn't really warrior physique at all to be frank. People who train for battle arrive at less defined muscle tone than the superhero anatomy/bodybuilder paradigm have it, since it's muscle to work not to show but I'm not trying to be uber-realistic here anyway. The legs are less worked than the chest and arms, yes. Mostly a personal subconscious thing since I find uber-swollen upper legs repulsive.

Thanks everybody for comments and critique!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 04:35:30 am
This is really, really, cool.  I almost feel like giving it a shot, though I've never pixelled something so big, much less something so crazy.

Not sure why you "squared off" some parts of it thoug, like by his ribcage.  Or are those parts you're not done with?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 04:47:09 am
I'm not officially done with anything until I'm done with everything, but I don't see what you mean exactly.

If you try this alchemy at small resolutions you will get hurt. This is basically dither city. Too sparse a grid and all you have is abstracted pixels.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 04:49:21 am
nice work helm, look forward to seeing the final product :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 05:01:43 am
Ptoing also CGA'ed the WIP. I love the pink helmet. This 'brick' dithering is a new idea worthy of investigation.

eh. I've fooled with it in the past... sortof. nothing great by me.

As for the WIP itself, it's coming along pretty awesome, reminds me of what a heat seeking missle would look like, I'm not liking the scrawny legs in comparison to the more defined upper body, it seems like he would be shaking trying to hold himself up, but you've already addressed that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:04:34 am by setz »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 05:09:27 am
what a heat seeking missle would look like

oh man, that's a very good description, heh. Extra points! I was pixelling and thinking 'hehe the flames are like VHS VIDEO BURNNN' and subconsciously I was doing inverted heat patterns (dark red in flame, instead of ouside) and it all seemed pleasing without understanding exactly why. And not what you said puts it a bit in perspective. This has nice ramifications for color theory where the hotter bits are darker than the colder bits, regardless of external lightsourcing. Will try to tie it off coherently!

EDIT: also, I find this variation pleasing. PERHAPS to the degree that this will become the official iteration to finish. Only R G B

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:18:56 am by Helm »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 05:42:12 am
People who train for battle arrive at less defined muscle tone than the superhero anatomy/bodybuilder paradigm have it, since it's muscle to work not to show but I'm not trying to be uber-realistic here anyway.

I wouldn't say that your portrayal is unrealistic at all. Muscular definiton has to do with body fat percentage (which involves diet, genetics, and hydration more than actual weightlifting), and I don't see how someone who trains for battle couldn't look like the Greek in your drawing. In fact, modern bodybuilding was inspired by the Grecian ideal of a perfect physique. When Eugen Sandow created bodybuilding contests, he chose the winner based on how closely his proportions matched those of ancient Greek statues.