AuthorTopic: For those that have made graphics for completed games  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: For those that have made graphics for completed games

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:54:36 pm
The person that is paying you is always right.

Unrelated and also wrong!  If you're being paid for your expertise it's absolutely your responsibility to speak up when something is worse than it could be, you're an artist not a robot.
Most definitely. I'm not that experienced in this area, but I have spoken up many times with my client about changes I think should be made and they have almost always obliged and often agreed later that it was for the better. Clients ARE always right, they are paying you to make what they want, however they may not always know what they actually want and if it's even feasible. The point is to COMMUNICATE. They will lay down the final say, but don't let them do so without giving them your opinion. Remember, programmers and artists tend to have a totally different thought process and they may not see things the same way you do.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:04 am
The person that is paying you is always right.

Unrelated and also wrong!  If you're being paid for your expertise it's absolutely your responsibility to speak up when something is worse than it could be, you're an artist not a robot.

Hey, I have to make a living somehow. The last thing I want to do is irritate the client. If my opinions conflict with his/her's, I am the employee at the end of the day and I have to agree with my boss. Whether something is "worse" or not is not up to my decision, it is the designer's.
If you are not getting paid then my best advice is stay organized. Even when you are rushed, do not save files to obscure locations or randomly pull out flash drives. It is better to be 5 minutes late than to lose 60 minutes of work.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:27:35 am
For each item in your big list of stuff, track not only status/completion, but where it is at in the process.  Things making it through the process get broken down into requirements small enough to be verifiable or testable.  So in addition to the big list of milestones and tasks like Pixelpiledriver posted, track a separate 'process' field for each item, something like this:

New wacky ideas are added with status scratchpad and get a few days for the newness to wear off .

The order in items get scheduled depends on the major milestone requirements and any prerequisites.  Some items may sit at 'feature firm' and 'design firm' for a while, depending on how much work you can do each week.

Keep the rejected and deferred items in the list, usually filtered from view.  If you get stuck at some point, you can go back and see if you had considered a different approach.

If you keep a steady flow of work from week to week then you can balance creative parts (design) with focused grunt work (implementation, testing) with a little slack time (planning). 

Tourist