AuthorTopic: More low poly this time (scroll past old posts)  (Read 19987 times)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

The idle was a bit too long to justify rendering out all of the frames, so I plopped out every 3rd one for the purpose of a GIF, so it got a bit jerky on some spots where the in-betweens were pretty key in padding it smooth. Basic idea is that he is shifting weight from right leg to left leg intermittently. Then I made him make a whole bunch of faces that are obviously the result of discovering many kittens playing right by his feet. Obviously.

There was a walk I did, but decided to scrap it while I was exporting these two because I know I can do better now that I am familiar with how the rig and software works (kinda..) so I'll approach that again and get kind of creative with it.

The eyeballs are static still as it stands, I just made the eyelids mobile to hide the creepy stare he's so good at. Just figured out how to use shape keys tonight and wanted to try it for some facial expression animation to familiarize myself with methods outside of doing it with bones.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Be veeeeeeewwy veeeeeewwy quiet. I'm spamposting wabbits.

Well, short of posting how the import of the character into Unity3D went for testing in an actual game environment, I've reached the end of my DVD training series and this is kind of the end of the journey for this model. I went into this with little 3D knowledge at all, and came out with a moving piece of meat that I'm really proud of, despite his misgivings and excessive polycount/texture size.

I was going to post about how it worked out bringing into the game engine, but it was so easy and unnecessary to do anything other than export the object package and load it in and add a character controller script to him (automated menu option) to be able to play around with it. Makes it far less intimidating for me knowing how compatible the things are and how little extra work is needed to go from creation process to converting it into workable assets.

Having learned what I did just on this one project piece, I recognize where there was a lot of work done on things that didn't need it and where I should have thought ahead/planned better as far as the mesh/baking/texturing is concerned. This character being as simple as it is could probably have been accomplished without sculpting or bothering with a normal map and created with much simpler and cleaner geometry. Mapping out the UV space could have been miles more efficient and creating the textures manually would not have been a terribly hard task. BUT I had no idea at the start of this how it would pan out so I'm glad I came away from this being able to identify problems at all!

I will keep using this thread for future 3D practice, but updates past this section (other than addressing any crits about this character) will involve new pieces.

I'm thinking the next thing I will try to bypass sculpting altogether, fixing to just model something and texture it manually. So it will be much more truly low poly than this.

Thanks for viewing and anyone who commented so far!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Tiny Car

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:22 pm
More low res this time!

64x64 textures this time as opposed to 1024x1024 :P

Sorry for color distortion of the export, compared to the texture map, had to downsample in the interest of filesize in the GIF

Looks like it went a little goofy at render time with how it mapped the textures compared to how it looks in the modelling window. So here's the view from inside Blender. I had turned off Mipmaps and everything for the render options but I suppose there was something I might have missed.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:38:20 am by Argyle »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: More low poly this time (scroll past old posts)

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:11 am
Getting proficient with 3D-ish stuff are we? Very good. 3D work can be really fun, engaging work. When I worked a full-time doing 3D all day I found that it was very immersive. Like animating crap in Flash, you can just do it all day long. The possibilities are endless.

It's very common among 3D characters but do you think there's a way to give him more "life"? He has this puppet Pinocchio marionette vibe to him - almost a creepyness. It seems to take some pretty serious mastery to create 3D humans and they look believable. Of course, your little guy is a cartoon so it's less imperative, but it's something I pick up when I look at him.

Be veeeeeeewwy veeeeeewwy quiet. I'm spamposting wabbits.

It's your thread. You can't spampost yo own thread, son.

(your site bg doesn't span my mon's standard 1080p width - 1920px, might wanna expand it some)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:05:16 pm by Mathias »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile

Re: More low poly this time (scroll past old posts)

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:01:44 am
It's very common among 3D characters but do you think there's a way to give him more "life"? He has this puppet Pinocchio marionette vibe to him - almost a creepyness. It seems to take some pretty serious mastery to create 3D humans and they look believable. Of course, your little guy is a cartoon so it's less imperative, but it's something I pick up when I look at him.

I definitely recognize the model of the guy's 'plastic' personality, in fact he pretty much creeped me out for most of the modelling process once I plopped some eyeball textures onto him. Once I got into learning how to manipulate the face in the animation portion I think it helped out a little. But, for what it is, I'm not hung up on it considering that character was made as an exercise to learn the software as well as 3D workflow at its most basic levels. So in the regard of showing me the ropes, he informed me that he appreciated not getting disqualified in the preliminaries.

Quote from: Mathias
Getting proficient with 3D-ish stuff are we? Very good. 3D work can be really fun, engaging work. When I worked a full-time doing 3D all day I found that it was very immersive. Like animating crap in Flash, you can just do it all day long. The possibilities are endless.

Certainly finding that to be the case. And it's funny that you compare it to animating crap in flash, because I was the same way when I first figured Flash out way back in the Macromedia Flash 8 days. I could have tweened a whole day into oblivion without a second thought! Thoroughly enjoying 3D so far, and am happy to recognize that my workflow is improving every time I tackle a new piece.

Quote from: Mathias
(your site bg doesn't span my mon's standard 1080p width - 1920px, might wanna expand it some)

Much appreciated, expanded to 2100 wide. You monster.