AuthorTopic: Sub Pixel animation test(color dancing)  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Sub Pixel animation test(color dancing)

on: May 12, 2012, 05:39:37 am
I've always wanted to know how to do sub pixel animation aka color dancing by some.  And after studying a fair deal of Joakim Sandbergs animations I was able to get a grasp on it.  Here is my first attempt.

An idle animation for my action game character

(Also for those of you who have seen this character here before and maybe wonder where exactly this game is...I'm working on it but it's a huge endeavor so I work on little games in the mean time...it's something I work on just whenever)**it is a bit embarrassing to keep show the same guy though without having a game to show :(**

Aaaaanywaaaay.

v1

v2

So comments, critiques, advice?

PixelPileDriver any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:19:36 pm by Mike »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Sub Pixel animation test(color dancing)

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:28 am
Focusing on the subpixel stuff I think it works pretty well on the torso, but not really in all the other places.

The animation on the legs and on his hands does not make much sense and does not look like movement at all, but just like changing pixels. On the crotch/belt area it pops too much in some frames. If you smooth that out I think that part should work good too. And the hair also makes no sense, it looks like it is alive more than anything.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: Sub Pixel animation test(color dancing)

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:19:01 pm
Right I can see what you mean for sure.  I was trying to use those areas more as a moving hold like in traditional animation.  Although I don't want anything to be superfluous fluff movement. 

However to be truthful I'm not sure what to do with the other areas.  I was thinking of raising the shoulders which would raise his his head, then his hair but I'm trying to do it so I have minimal real pixel movement.  No idea what his legs would be doing.  As for the hair.  I get really caught up in whether it would move up with him or if it would drag behind because he was moving up.  I'm still an early beginner at sub pixel but I'm burning to learn more!   

Also I don't know how I missed that crotch popping like that?  All I know is I was frantically trying out a bunch of different ideas for the belt and that must've been left in.  I think my brain tricked me into thinking everything was A-OK but that's only a side effect of working with it for so long.  Thanks for noticing!

Quick question.

Do you think the timing of the pixels moving on his leg are satisfactory?  Does it match his overall movement?  Is it just the position and direction of movement that doesn't work?

Fixed that weird crotch issue.  I don't know how I missed that.  Also I took out the animation for the legs. (check first post)