AuthorTopic: GR#124 - Action Adventure - RPG Projection, Gameart  (Read 34263 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Action/Adventure Sprites

Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 11:55:42 pm
Yeah, really neat sprite, less girly, more action-y this time.

Against the grain, but I much preferred the non-metallic hair; it just seems both more cohesive with the new outfit and less er, weirdly shiny.

The portrait looks like a relative of yours maybe? :P, I kid but maybe you are falling into a formula here that could preclude something more interesting? The overall shape, the angle and features are strikingly similar.

Offline BlueArctica

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:34 am
I disagree with Facet. I think the shiny hair gives the sprite a good contrast that the one with matte hair doesn't have. Actually, the non-shiny haired sprite seems very drab to me. Just my opinion.

Also, great work on the portrait. I like it a lot.

Can't wait to see how the environments turn out!  ;)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:34 am
I disagree with Facet. I think the shiny hair gives the sprite a good contrast that the one with matte hair doesn't have. Actually, the non-shiny haired sprite seems very drab to me. Just my opinion.

I'll have to agree with that. As I said on IRC already, wex :P The sprite without the shiny hair just looks rather dull, whereas the shiny one is interesting and more vivid.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11:10 pm
Hmm, in the face of mounting opposition maybe I should explain where I'm coming from a little better: the original was more subtle and I like it, but the reinstated version carried over into the portrait begins to look odd.

If the character design wasn't metallic hair, then it just seems like a strange thing to do purely for the sake of visibility instead of just balancing the colours of the hair/sprite as a whole. I would try putting back some of that blue elsewhere in the sprite instead or just pare it back in the portrait.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:34:38 pm by Facet »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 02:25:03 am
Facet, thanks for sharing your perspective. You're absolutely right about the previous version looking more natural.

Metallic vs. naturalistic hair is a design choice I've been vacillating over for a while, which ties into the game's fiction a bit. There won't be any other characters with colorful hair like this. The protagonist is unusual in that her 'spiritual energy' isn't restricted to her body like a normal human's. Her blue hair is evidence of this energy kind of passively overflowing.

As a supernatural quality, it could make sense for her hair to have a strange metallic sheen, but it's really just a matter of whichever looks better.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 08:33:47 pm
No problem, I made a bit of a mountain out of a molehill there somehow :P. As recompense, I gave the portrait a go with that explanation in mind.

I mainly just  filled out and rendered out some of the flatter stuff, reduced AA for the kind of crisp toon-shaded look I thought you were after, and of course enjoyed myself immensely doing some looser, high-gloss tousled hair; I thought the spikes as was were shaded rounder and thicker than hair ought to be (not that my example is high realism :)).

Edit: I cleaned the face up a bit & added some AA back on reflection.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:40:54 pm by Facet »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:07 am
Facet, beauitful edit! Thank you :)

I'd like to keep the messy spiky hairstyle, but there's still a lot I can learn from your edit, especially with regards to shading the hair and defining the shapes of the face.

I think I found a happy medium for the hair in the sprite.

Update + idle animation:

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:02 am
Even though I'm usually a huge fan of chibi styles, I have to say that the more adult-proportioned versions are more striking and have more personality, or at least I like them better. Maybe it's because they're less common in top-down perspectives? (or lack thereof  ;))

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 05:23:54 am
Facet, beauitful edit! Thank you :)

I'd like to keep the messy spiky hairstyle, but there's still a lot I can learn from your edit, especially with regards to shading the hair and defining the shapes of the face.

I think I found a happy medium for the hair in the sprite.

Update + idle animation:

What you have is nice, and probably mostly " realistic" but I think in the case of a sprite this size some exaggeration would benefit. Id like to see the head and torso move up at least a subpixel.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 07:14:57 am
I think the shininess looks great in the sprite's hair, but doesn't come off too well in the portrait. Contrast is amazing when it's on a smaller scale, but when it's on a larger scale like a portrait, it creates eyeburn ;~;