AuthorTopic: House Chipset  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: House Chipset

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:30:21 am
Yeah, you're right about the mockup. Actually, I was too lazy to actually do one even though it would take like 5 minutes.

So:

Those are two walls I did just now. I'll resize the other pieces to make it ''fit''. I'll also redo the character sprite.

My favorite:

My second choice:

Not sure if walls need more texture... I wanted to give them a ''dirty'' look.

And a couch, I like the way it looks and I didn't use any reference either, I'm quite proud of it!  :crazy: (of course let me know if there's something wrong with it  :y:)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 02:08:44 pm
I redid the detective:

And a door:

I'll do a mockup next time.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:57 pm
The new detective looks like he'd belong in a sidescroller and not a 3/4 rpg.
You need to show more of his shoulders and the top of his head.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:54 pm
Ok, thanks Seiseki, I've tweaked it. Any better?

Loads of elements are too small  :o. Well, ptoing did tell me at the beginning, oh well, live and learn. I'll need to fix the other elements and make them bigger. Any other comments.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 11:20:55 pm
The high-contrast wallpaper is really distracting - it catches the eye more than anything else in the scene, which is (generally) not what you want the backdrop to do. I'd change it so it's all a solid color, or the stripes are less contrasted.
Shading on the door doesn't seem to fit in with everything else.

Still, this is coming along quite nicely! Some things are too small still, sure, but you're improving the scale.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:17 pm
I'll try something else for the wall.

What's wrong with the floor exactly? Is it too dark? Not dark enough? Too saturated? I'm not sure what the issue is ???.

If you could explain and give an example as to what the issue with the door is, that would be very helpful. Maybe it would make me understand how shading and uniformity works better.

But anyway, meanwhile, I'll continue working on the scale of the other elements.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:08 pm
The floor is just too busy as it is, I'm having trouble pinpointing the exact issue but I find it visually distracting.
I did an edit to try to work out what exactly was bugging me:

or a thicker doorframe, which looks better I think

* Changed shading on door p. much entirely: same general pattern is intact but I changed it from indentations to beveled squares, referencing my own door :P Not sure what you were aiming for with the doorknob so I just made it round.
* Made planks in floor larger, added another shade to them: I think this scale for the planks just fits the other objects better, and it's less visually distracting
* Added quick shadows just to see how they'd look - I know you haven't added them in yet, no rush!
* Added frame around door: doors do have a frame, and it helps it feel more like part of the scene instead of a decal on the wall. You could do a smaller wooden frame around the door (matching the door colors) if you wanted something more easily reusable with different walls, depending on how you want to handle the frame.
* Tweaked colors in wardrobe to fit in better with door since they're both wood, not all that necessary but you've got a weird greyish-brown shade in there that doesn't seem to serve much purpose so I got rid of it

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:40 pm
I think there is too much space between the planks in your edit Cupcake, at least horizontally. Right now, you can see the side of the plank AND a dark line separating it from the next plank.

It makes it look like they're really far apart or stacked on top of each other. If you were to look at it from the side, there'd be about 3-4 pixels of just space between them. You could break your toe in that.  :blind:

This is for the edit, but Zizka's planks do it too. I feel like there should be less space between each plank. I have wooden floors and my planks hardly even have space between them. Maybe you could use a line of highlight on one edge of the planks, too, rather than having a black outline around all of it. Just a suggestion.

Btw, I really do like your edits and the planks, Cupcake. Just thought I'd comment on that.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:15 pm
Cupcake, did a quick edit upon your edit:

I found that one thing that was personally distracting me with the floor (and the walls/carpet/door somewhat) was that they're pretty bright and everything just seems to jump out at you.  So I just darkened it a slight bit/desat'd it slightly.  The green of the wall just drew my attention to it pretty quickly. Same with the pretty bright floor.  And the dark outline in between the door and the frame seemed slightly out of place, so I used a dark color from the floor instead, which was a lighter color.

Just what I thought at a first glance, though.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:20 am
Dr D's advice is spot-on! I'll be honest, I've never lived in a house with wooden flooring and I'm unused to it, so I wasn't thinking very hard about it. It looks a lot better this way. I went ahead and edited my edit to make sure:

Varying degrees of more flatness/closeness on the planks. The one with the highlight feels as if it fits best to me.

Ashbad, your palette edit isn't bad but it does bring the values closer together. If you look at it in grayscale, the furniture all blends in a bit with the floor. Depending on what look Zizka is aiming for this isn't necessarily bad, but it's something to keep in mind.