AuthorTopic: House Chipset  (Read 11053 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

House Chipset

on: May 10, 2012, 08:39:44 pm
It might be too early to show what I got but...

I'd like to know if you think the element clash with one another. If you can't tell this way, I'll just make a mockup, no problem. I'm thinking this might be looking to repetitive.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: House Chipset

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:45:58 pm
The scale is a bit weird. The chair is massive compared to everything else. Or everything else is tiny.
Try to keep in mind how the objects would size up in relation to a person and try to make them consistently in scale.

The shading also is a bit inconsistent in the outlines. What I mean is that the table for example is darker than the closet and drawer but the outlines are lighter.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:54:38 pm
I liked the furniture, though I agree with the C&C above. I'm working on an oblique perspective game and wanted to test out to see how these would look in that perspective because I like the general style. Just thought I would share.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:47:19 am
@Cheetah: Looks nice, although that closet is certainly deep!  ;D

Some new stuff, I've tried to make things bigger:

Cardbox

Save point (yeah, it's for a game):

Fridge (ref.: Mother 3)

TV:

I like the way they look in their Earthboundesque simplicity but on the other hand I don't really feel challenged anymore. Maybe if you could provide suggestions to make it more of a challenge?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:28 pm
For the fridge, try doing some rounded corners by placing darker pixels in the corners, also the fridge could use a highlight to make it look glossy.
For the cardboard box you should really try to make it look more interesting by adding duct tape or something, or if it's slightly opened.

I really dig the style of the first objects you drew!
But the rest lacks that omph and pop that those first ones have.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:47 pm
I like the TV! I feel like the other two new objects are missing something, though.

If you're going for sort of a Mother 3 style, let's consider some reference images...

While an individual object in the scene may be simple, each one tends to have some sort of small detail to it, or a more interesting angle than simply straight-on.

Anyway, an edit:

Seiseki came up with the same idea as I had while I was working on this!  :) I dropped the fridge legs because they don't really work at this angle, tried to give the doors more of a feeling of thickness, and added packing tape to the box to make it more interesting.
I notice these are at a different scale from your first items, did you decide to work bigger?

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 12:14:25 am
Thanks to you both for the ideas.

Haha! The box looks much better, congrats!

I am working bigger, yes. I noticed my character was too big for the furniture:

(yeah, this needs a good makeover too).

I forgot a couple of things acutally:

The carpet looks really bland. I've tried numerous time to texturize it but it didn't looked good.

A decorative Japanese scroll:

The floor I'm happy with (although I'm certainly open to criticism):

Some table:

Some more furniture:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:20:16 am by Zizka »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:10 am
You've posted a bunch of disparate elements which look alright in regards to the style you're imitating, but we haven't seen how these tiles collide together to give us a cohesive impression of a room.

For example, you haven't posted any walls yet. I'd say the most important part about creating an interior, is nailing down the walls, ceiling and floor tiles. Make sure they have an established priority that imply planes of depth. More importantly, they have to mesh with the character and maintains a relationship in which the main character is easily readable, but doesn't stick out or blend in too much.

One approach to doing this is to have a character with a color that stands out, which your yellowish brown certainly does. However, you have to make sure your floors, (right now the wooden one is pretty bright) doesn't grab more attention than the character, or any of the sprite level. For this reason it would be beneficial to have the floors relatively low contrast, I would change the color that it is now to maybe that darker shade of brown.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:54 am
Going off of what you have here and what you had from your forest tileset, I have to agree with Corinthian Baby. The individual pieces you're coming up with each look fine on their own, but you're not making things that are meant to be used on their own. You're making smaller components of a larger scene, and it'll help you if you use a mock-up of some sort from the start.

Here's a quick mock-up:

I darkened the wood floor, added some very lazy walls, and used my edited box/fridge. (Just because I had them transparent already.)

If you have a mock-up, you notice things that aren't immediately obvious when you're working on something in isolation: the wood floor is a little too busy compared to the other relatively simple items, and the person gets lost against it. The scale feels off on the dresser and table.

I actually think the carpet is fine as it is, if you're going for a clean, cartoony style.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:43:40 am
I think that for the amount of detail you have right now, that the room needs to shrink significantly in size for it to really be interesting to the player.  In addition, it needs to be smaller because in real life, the size of the person compared to the size of the room would make that room really huge.  And, really empty.  That rug alone would be the largest rug I would have ever seen in my lifetime.  While designing an environment to be lifelike-proportional doesn't usually work out well in cartoony styled games like this seems to be (a more realistic size for the room would be about 1/4 the size it is now), one should also not make the environment huge, especially if it's that lacking of detail.  Maybe shrink it to half the size?  That way it's also easier to make it more interesting with less props in the environment.

On that topic, the fridge/drawers look about the right size, but those boxes and that scroll are really huge.  

EDIT: just noticed that mockup wasn't by the OP :P my bad then.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:06:16 pm by Ashbad »