AuthorTopic: Dungeon Maker!  (Read 4833 times)

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Dungeon Maker!

on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:17 am

This is a mockup of a 'dungeon creator' game, where you essentially take control of "ancient evil" and try to keep out all the adventurers from finishing your dungeon. I am planning for this to be a bit tongue-and-cheek cliche; the bull boss will run into walls and stun himself, the adventurer is probably young and lost his parents, the giant rocks from the ceiling, etc. Kinda like typical game tropes.

Any C/C is welcome! The 3 guys at the far right are going to be minions that generally do all the work; I just can't decide which. I like the far right one the best currently.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Dungeon Maker!

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:27:02 pm
I like this a lot!

I feel like some lighting effects are needed. When you go underground I expect things to get a little darker. You've got a nice palette here, some shadow and highlights would really add to the atmosphere.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:57:20 pm
this is rad, and yeah the belt looks appealing, might be worth further experimentation.
digging the clarity and readability at such low scale, dig the muted palette too :y:

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:16 am

This is a mockup of a 'dungeon creator' game, where you essentially take control of "ancient evil" and try to keep out all the adventurers from finishing your dungeon. I am planning for this to be a bit tongue-and-cheek cliche; the bull boss will run into walls and stun himself, the adventurer is probably young and lost his parents, the giant rocks from the ceiling, etc. Kinda like typical game tropes.

Any C/C is welcome! The 3 guys at the far right are going to be minions that generally do all the work; I just can't decide which. I like the far right one the best currently.

As far as minions go I think they all look great and a bit of variety is always good.
The bigger guy could be tougher than the small ones (do they fight too??).

Just a random game idea (nothing to do with artwork sorry!), you can buy and strategically place items of value with a chance to attract adventurers away from the main goal and into your traps.
Different items could have higher chance of attraction to different classes.
Just keep in mind that an adventurer gets through the traps and equips the item they will become more powerful :crazy:

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:41:28 am
As far as minions go I think they all look great and a bit of variety is always good.
The bigger guy could be tougher than the small ones (do they fight too??).

Just a random game idea (nothing to do with artwork sorry!), you can buy and strategically place items of value with a chance to attract adventurers away from the main goal and into your traps.
Different items could have higher chance of attraction to different classes.
Just keep in mind that an adventurer gets through the traps and equips the item they will become more powerful :crazy:
Funny that you had such a similar though to mine! I actually was going to have it so as you are digging your base out, you will find ancient weapons that you can't destroy, so you have to stick it somewhere in the base where the adventurer will have a hard time getting. Spawning your own weapons won't feel like a very good incentive if you can put the traps in the main path anyways  :crazy:

Update, not so sure about the entrance. Looks a bit odd.

Some animations for the small guy:
Spawn:
Run:
Fall/Jump:
Hide/Disguise:

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 05:39:21 am
This instantly reminded me of WDIDTDTML on psp, idk if you have played it or not but if youre planning to do something like that it sounds awesome.
only ting bugging me is that minions look too alike(if youre going to use them all) I might've get it wrong but I if youre going to give them all different jobs I'd say at least change their colors.

and if you haven't played WDIDTDTML certainly play it, it starts out as fun but gets chaotic easily, here a ss.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:01:29 pm
some suggestions, the slither thin ceiling depth looks a bit off, so I'd suggest having anything but the entrance (which I'm sure would be in a map dependent  fixed place) only buildable 1tile away from the surface, also I liked your green tiles, so an idea on keeping them in would be for surface (implying grass) and there also is my suggestion for what might be bothering you about the entrance, the shadows from the top, and then just me messing around with other junk you can probably dismiss, like torches, having them throughout would make sense, or if your minions see in the dark, idk guess they don't need to be in there, or maybe the adventurer lights them kinda like a % progression of how deep into your dungeon he is *shrugs* and nice minion animations dig the overall style :y: and minions turning into urn/pots? nice touch ;D

Edit: looked at it again, entrance stood out even more after doing that last edit, so did this to see if it's something you'd bother with, also the way you depict them those minions look like they could be prone to mischief, so why not have a whip weilding brute unit that keeps them in line :D just more visual suggestions, coz I'm really digging your idea :y:

and oh yeah your evil keeper overlord didn't look quite as evil or ominous as he could so i messed with him sorry :lol:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:44:56 pm by Grimsane »