AuthorTopic: Exercises to improve with Pixel Art?  (Read 7555 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Exercises to improve with Pixel Art?

on: May 07, 2012, 01:29:31 pm
I've recently gone and tried to get back into pixel art again after a hiatus of about a year; I think that after that hiatus I was able to get from where I was before in ability (Advanced Beginner) to a higher level (Somewhere in the beginning to middle Intermediate level) in pixel art drawing.  I really want to get a lot better, and I know there's only two things that I can get better from (now that I know basically how all the techniques work) -- Practice, and looking at tons of examples.

So, I've decided to put away my programming in my free time for the next few months and replace it with 2 hours a day of practicing pixel art drawing and looking at examples.

I was wondering if the amazing pixel artists here could set me on a course for where I could start with my skill honing/learning?  For example, what should I start with making first to learn new styles and improve my skills?  Could you give me a few small to medium sized tasks for me to try and draw, so I could see how well I can do a dry run of making them, then get help here on what I can do to improve them (and then improve them on my own)?  I'm willing to take harsh criticism and take up any task! (within reason)

TIA for the lessons/tasks/help,

Ashbad

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Exercises to improve with Pixel Art?

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 02:59:40 pm
Wow, I am in the exact same position. I decided this weekend, to no small damage of my pride, to push any and all programming aspirations aside and concentrate completely on art from now on into the foreseeable future.

Okay, some advice:

To start, you should join any pixel art related challenges you can enter. We've got a photo palette challenge running here, and Pixel Joint has a new challenge every week.

Second, I'd recommend you think of a game you'd like to make, and mock it up. Mock ups are good in that they get you creating stuff you normally might not pixel in little one-off practice pieces. By doing this you'll have to tackle rendering a complete scene: terrain, structures, people, animals, etc.

Finally, and most importantly, sit down with a sketch book or some computer paper and draw. I like to browse thru deviantArt and tumblr and just draw stuff that stimulates my id. Naked girls, robots, girls, space ships, girls, military vehicles, girls, etc. Copy other artist's drawings, draw from photos, draw something out your window, take a drawing in someone's style and draw it in your own style. Grab some colored pencils while you are at it and work on color composition.

Really, before you work in any medium, digital or otherwise, your first instinct should be to whip out a pencil and a piece of paper and think things out visually. Get those juices flowing.

Other than that, just work at it. Pixel art is a skilled trade. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:13:52 pm
Hmm, that advice sounds great!  Partially because I actually haven't ever drawn something out with paper and pencil before attempting to make pixel art of it... I guess I need to improve my drawing skills too! :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:39:26 pm
Blumunkee gives good advice. Just as painters learn by doing studies of plaster casts and past masters, I think something similar can be done in pixel art.

Make a grass tile. A damn good one. Look at good references and analyze how they are done; when you tile, see what is working and what is not, but most importantly, find out why it is or is not working! This is a great test in utilizing pixel clusters effectively. A great deal can be learned of art making and pixel art in the assets of the common rpg, actually. Rock faces require you to break down forms into flat planes, The rpg tree is a fundamental exercise in noise balance, perspective, texture, lighting ( including practical in game concerns).

Pixel joint challenges are great at expanding the imagination and dealing with restrictions; creating an entire rpg graphic set can force you to learn various art fundamentals and how they are inseparable from game art.

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:04:30 am
Been taking up these suggestions the past few days, and it's been helping (or at least, from what I can tell :P)  Thanks for the tips, I'll eventually report back in this thread and share what I did to improve specifically, once I do a bit more to make it worthy of sharing.