AuthorTopic: Pixel Art (Beginner)  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Moznic

• View Profile

Pixel Art (Beginner)

on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:44 pm
Greetings,

Well I just started to do pixel art yesterday and I was wondering where I should start learning. Like right now I started to try out tiles even though it's nowhere near good, but is there any kind of directions that I should be heading first as a beginner? Keep in mind that I am really interested in pixel art, so it would be very great if someone could give a bit detail as possible  :lol:

Thanks for the help!

Edit:

Image of the grass tile:

Aside for that I will be posting regularly on my daily progress for making grass tiles. As for practice I will be doing grass tile all this week in other to understand it better. So any kind of tips or hints along my journey would be very grateful, Thank You!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:09:43 pm by Moznic »

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Where to Start? (Beginner)

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:33 pm

Offline Moznic

• View Profile

Re: Where to Start? (Beginner)

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:43 pm
This -> http://www.yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread! I really appreciate it! Although I have been following that site pretty much  :lol:

Offline Moznic

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art (Beginner)

Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:52 pm
Day 1:

Pixel Tile Grass Practice:

CnC are appreciated!   :o

PS: Bare in mind that I do have the 32*32, but I will be showing the tiles in 64*64 instead.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:24 pm
Good:

- It tiles rather well.  Nice job on that!
- The color base shade is a nice choice of green; not too bright, not too dismal.

What needs to be improved:

- You might want to double the amount of grass strands in the tile; it looks very bare right now, as if there's a green carpet and a few strands are coming out of it.
- You'll also want to add a little more contrast between the brighter two shades and the darker one.  That way you'll get better grass blade readability.
- You might also want to consider straightening out the blades a bit to make them more erect in posture; then it's also easier to fill in the space with more blades as well.
- Finally, you might want to let up on the brightest color there, some; with so few blades, it dominates the middle green color.  However, this might get fixed automatically by adding more blades and straightening them, so I wouldn't worry about this until you make the other fixes.

Not bad at all for a very beginner pixel artist!  Much more impressive than my first grass tile (or even, first few months of attempted grass tiles...) :P

Offline Moznic

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:10 pm
Thank you for taking your time to post your CnC, I really appreciate it. Here is another grass tile that I did today, not sure if it fits what you suggested, but any kind of CnC is helpful.

Day 3:

A =

B =

C =

Thank You!

Offline robert07

• View Profile
    • teckreview

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:12:52 am
These pixels look great...:)

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:07:20 pm
Thank you for taking your time to post your CnC, I really appreciate it. Here is another grass tile that I did today, not sure if it fits what you suggested, but any kind of CnC is helpful.

Day 3:

A =

B =

C =

Thank You!

In this picture I label out some areas that are repeated through out the tileset. B is one of the best looking ones, but the vertical line throws off the entire process.

This is an Edit of B, I did my best to conceal that the tiles were repeating (and you can still see they repeat anyways :'[) and that's by trying to make each tile connected to each other by making some blades of grass go outside of the 32x32 mark and into the next one. The grass still needs a bit more character and depth, but you're doing great for starters :]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:13:08 pm by XLR8ED »