AuthorTopic: The Photopalette Activity Thread!  (Read 31843 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: The Photopalette Activity Thread!

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 09:41:35 pm
I used this photo (WARNING: big picture of disgusting bug! (though I personally think it's cute))
I got this, very bright-colored and varied palette:

This is what I came up with  :D

(birds in profile seem to be the only thing I ever do...)

Obviously the lower third of the picture hasn't been properly defined yet. I'm still trying to figure out how the legs/claws and tree branch should look. I also haven't decided on which background colours to use yet, which is why I display two variants. Input? Also, the background foliage is only roughly defined. I might add more detail to it, and more layers. Maybe some foreground foliage as well.

I haven't "cheated" and changed any of the original colours. Yet! I also haven't used all the 16 colours (should that be required?).

Will continue progress tomorrow!

edit: did some work deep into the night. Stylistic update:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:05:14 am by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 10:10:46 pm
I started on this eel lady seeing original post was about sea, my palette wasn't as bright as I wanted but I don't want to cheat, I hope I can finish this, this will be my first pixel paint thingy if I can finish, I probably made anatomical mistakes and such but I can't see them, please tell if something is bugging you.also PPD you seem to draw with brush like pen, is there a trick to it, I too use GG but my pen is only 1px.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:47:20 pm by numlock »

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 12:01:39 am
actually I thought about it a bit and didn't like that eel lady, she looked like ariel a lot, tough I really wanted to draw about sea and tought I should draw something from greek myth, then color palette seemed very close to "the birth of venus" always wanted to paint something similar to that so I'll try to make that in pixel instead, this is so far what I did, only sketch.

this is what I did so far, idk what is wrong with ih but something is off, I'll sleep and see what I can with more clear mind, if all fails I might consider changing palette.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:58:19 am by numlock »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 05:42:48 pm

Still a ton to do.
I'll put some more time into the other 2 I've started as well.

big picture of disgusting bug! (though I personally think it's cute)
I agree!

I also haven't used all the 16 colours (should that be required?)
If it makes it more fun, then yes.
I used all 16 for this one.

@Facet:
Thanks so much for the edit and advice!
I really love how far you pushed the color balance.
The skin tones in the the water, as well as the water tones on the skin, work really well to show reflection.
There's a bunch more changes you made I like.
When I get back to this piece I'll be using it as ref for sure.
Thanks!

Also, yo!
Yes! It's all about the Yo!
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

PPD you seem to draw with brush like pen, is there a trick to it, I too use GG but my pen is only 1px.
I tend to think more in terms of volume instead of line when I sketch.
Flat pens cover a lot of ground making it quick block things out with broad strokes.
But it just depends.
Sometimes I start out with line as well.

I made a collection of pen shapes that I like better than the default pens.

You're welcome to use them if you like.
I've uploaded them to here.
Click File->Download in the top left to get the zip.
Unzip into the folder listed below.
Open the pen selection and scroll down.
All custom pens appear alphabetically after the default pens.

If you'd like to make your own pens here's how.
This is from the documentation:

You can make your own Pen and tile shapes.
the BMP must be a monochrome(1bit), the size of a pen must be 32x32, and the size of a tile must be 16x16.
In a pen, white area will put a color in the canvas. In a tile, white area will be replaced with the first color, and black area will be replaced with the second color."

Pens and tiles must be placed in the folder named "pen" in the following folder.
WindowsXP: C:\Documents and Settings\(Windows user name)\Application Data\Humanbalance\GraphicsGale
WindowsVista: Desktop->(Windows user name)->AppData->Roaming->Humanbalance->GraphicsGale (AppData->Local folder for Fullversion)
Windows98: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Humanbalance\GraphicsGale

Use the exact dimensions and format listed or your pen won't load.

Cool images!
Sorry I don't have time for crits at the moment.
Will drop my thoughts later.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:05:36 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:09 pm
Thank you for the nice custom brushes, PPD! They've been useful, and I feel I'm going to get a lot more mileage out of them.

I felt my image was too cramped, so I enlarged the canvas. Still searching for a composition that works...

I'm not satisfied with any of them. The one to the right is closer to what I'm trying to achieve, but not quite it. Middle one was more experimental, but it's too busy. I'm looking for simple and clear.

That's it for tonight.

this is what I did so far, idk what is wrong with ih but something is off, I'll sleep and see what I can with more clear mind, if all fails I might consider changing palette.

The anatomy strikes me as strange. The calves are as large as the thighs (if not larger). Either make them thinner, or give her wider hips and thighs.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 10:05:21 pm

Still a big mess.

Thank you for the nice custom brushes, PPD!
No problem!
Happy to help.

Still searching for a composition that works...
I Like the new direction of the backdrop.
You ended up with some really sweet colors.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 11:30:33 am
kept meaning to post or atleast improve upon this before posting, but now is a good time while I remember I guess, started on the 24th of May apparently
google image reduced:

oh god it just dawned on me it's not really a photo  ??? hope it's still okay :yell:  *"photo or image" phew

and progress on it haven't touched it in weeks

had mention on how dull the colours are shall I tweak them?  :-\

anyway it's good activity, and really dig what's been done so far in here :y: and I'll probably start another one up

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:46 am

Still needs a lot of work.
The photo I used for this palette was WAY too risque for Pixelation.
So lets just pretend I used a nice picture of a forest.

Very cool Grim!

had mention on how dull the colours are shall I tweak them?
I enjoy the colors as they are, but why not?
Play around with em and see what happens.
I cheated on my fish girl quite a bit.
The upside down guy and the head poking in from the bottom!  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:22:15 pm by PixelPiledriver »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:08 pm
haha too risque :lol: loving the pixel pinups :crazy:
Quote from: PixelPiledriver
The upside down guy and the head poking in from the bottom!
:D

and I'll probably just leave the colours.

did another fast activity thingy, but kinda dead ended so gonna do another, palette from this image

some random craziness, in some kinda crawlspace or something

prog

actually picked the image solely for the panda then thought it'd be weird drawing a panda from a palette reduced from a panda :huh: so I'll probably reduce something else and do a panda next  ;D

btw sorry for not organizing my posts/participations much :-X might edit them when I find the motivation

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:16 pm
Ah, I wanna join in :D. Actually I started on something on the unofficial square canvas/marine mythology theme (much) earlier but I haven't had time to polish it up much. Palette appropriated from a Wiki Commons PotD & I meant to incorporate accompanying motifs (hippocampus, trident, scales) in quite a graphic, ancient-grecian-pottery manner into the BG. Will do later, promise. Comp. based on this Klimt.

Grim

Props for resurrecting this, I can see the beginnings of a sweet dieselpunk beat 'em scene in the first of yours there, just needs moar foreground (and roundhouse kicks). I can't say that I follow your thought process in the second though (whodunnit@Mad Hatter's tea party?).

Piledriver

Miss Fish is cleaning up nicely. Actually each of your canvases is better than the last, all great. I do like the loose aesthetic but can't help feeling like they could be scaled down a bit without losing much and be thus easier to cluster-fy. To death :P. Do want cyan elephant to go on sexy adventures with.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:48:19 pm by Facet »