AuthorTopic: [WIP] Female doll base  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Female doll base

Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:07:22 am
Hullo, I started an edit yesterday but got distracted. Mostly rendering stuff.

There's not much modelling going on here at all; your values are all pretty close together (you could easily remove half of them) and quite tentatively applied, hugging the edges. You can be a lot bolder :), try defining volumes by starting from something in the lower end and then illuminating the form with lighter shades. 

Anatomically there's some asymmetry; (her) right thigh being a whole lot longer (I would shift some of the length in both legs from the thigh to the calf, it should look more natural), left hand is larger and corresponding shoulder a tad truncated. I'm sure you're aware that some of the conventions that you're following here look pretty strange to outsiders, her outsize appendages make her look a bit ungainly and the babyface strikes me as kinda unsettling the more I look at it.

I roughed out some of the aforementioned, I guess it won't be quite what you're aiming for but hopefully it'll prove interesting on some fronts anyway.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:11 am
Graphics Gale edits colors based on an index.

This is a decent supplement to Mike's post I wrote a while ago.

Sorry no time for crits or edits.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:15 pm
Facet, I love your style and skill..
But I don't think it's the right way to go at all in this particular case..

The target audience doesn't want realism, they want cute cartoon dolls to dress up. (at least I'm going to assume that ;))
It should look rather plain when it comes to shading, because the focus should be on the clothes.

Offline Oddrick

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:13 pm
Thank you Facet, that's a very helpful edit! It definitely makes me realize she doesn't have well-defined form currently. :-[ I'm not going for too much realism with the base, but your edit has definitely illuminated a few problem areas that I will work on. ;D

I think the face will stay as it is. People of the demographic this will serve tend to like things more cute than realistic. Not as super-duper-mega-cute like what Seiseki posted, but definitely needs to look adorable. :)

Edit: Also Mike, thank you very much for telling me about this tool. I will play around with it definitely. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:27:01 pm by Oddrick »