AuthorTopic: [WIP] Female doll base  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Oddrick

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Female doll base

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:52 pm
Thank you very much for the face edit! That's what I've been struggling the most with. I don't think I've done the nose justice, and her eyes probably need a complete redo.

I upped the contrast, but I think I messed up the skin colors in the process. Her stomach seems off, and I don't think (her) right hand is reading well. I'll do more work on her soon.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 11:42:05 pm

I've edited the torso mostly, plus a little tweak to her right calf (viewer left).

I made her ribcage a little broader, and pretty much redid her breasts. The breasts were very high up on your version, so I moved them down and made them a little less perfectly round - they ended up a little larger than I meant them too, but remember that even small breasts will be effected by gravity. I've moved her belly button down a bit further (maybe a smidge too far) and I've rounded her stomach out a bit.

For the breasts, from what I recall, a good rule of thumb is that the bottom of the breast should lie roughly halfway between the shoulder and the elbow. (Someone please correct this if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've focused on anatomy?)

Offline Oddrick

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:45:29 am
I really liked your changes to the stomach and calf, but I'm not sure about the breasts. I think I prefer the smaller, petite breasts on her frame rather than larger ones. I tried increasing them by just one pixel around but I didn't like it. :blind:

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 01:36:30 am
I made a few edits I think makes the doll look more feminine and cute.
Resized mouth, ear, nose to be more petite. This is mostly based on my experience with anime and manga.
Also added the eye reflection and added some lashes.

I suggest you don't try to make it look to realistic, it's better too skip out on some features, like nostrils for example.
Especially considering it's pixel art, but also because it's more important that it looks cute than real (I assume that's what people using these sites want ;))

(I suck at ears btw)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 03:05:48 am
I agree.  Leave the nostrils out.  Just some shadow under the tip of the nose is fine.  Also I like the eye shine as well.  I should've made more of an edit to the body but I wasn't sure how to tackle something so stylized.  Good edit btw!

Offline Oddrick

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:04 pm
I think her eyes look cuter now, but I somehow managed to muddy up the color count. :yell:

And sorry if my posts/updates are slower. I am preparing for finals next week. :blind:

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 10:33:21 pm

I edited the colors down to 17.  You had a few stray colors that weren't really doing anything.  I also merged colors that were way to close to the same color to need to be unique.  However I didn't edit any of the skin tones.  Also remember this is going to be viewed in 1x.  So as long as it looks good at 1x it should be good.

Also what program are you using to edit this?

Offline Oddrick

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:27:54 am
I'm using MS Paint, but I use GIMP to do color adjustments. I guess I did something wrong when I went to adjust the eye tones.

Found the edit button. :crazy:

I think I might be ready to move onto the male version, unless there are any egregious flaws with her as she currently stands?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:45:45 am by Oddrick »

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:56 am
I recommend you use a program that is built for pushing around colors easily.  http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html  Graphics Gale edits colors based on an index.  What this means is that you can pick a color in the palette and you can shift it's colors around.  Furthermore this happens in real time.  This is how I was able to find all the stray colors you had.  I went through every color you had and I would select it from the palette then I would change the hue to something like Bright neon green.  This would show me all the areas that that palette used.  For example you had a color that was by the eyes that was only used for 1-2 pixels.  I was able to spot these because when I shifted the hue only 2 pixels changed green. 

Heres an example of what I mean.  Take a look at the Palette on the right side.  Notice how I can easily tell where that blue shade is by shifting it to green.  Now all I have to do is decide if that color should be left alone.  If so I undo and move onto the next color.  Using GGale it's quite easy to clean up the palette of stray colors.  Likewise it's very difficult to have a problem of stray colors when editing with an index based program.

You don't have to do any of this I just wanted to let you be aware of what can be done.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:14 am
The eyes look very undefined now, hard to tell eye white from iris..
And the large black area above her eyes makes here look like some sort of zombie :D
Because it looks more like the eye sockets are super deep and the dark part is a shadow, that's why I added a larger reflection to break it up.