AuthorTopic: Bunny platformer WIP  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Bunny platformer WIP

on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:11 am
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on and off and making pixel art as a hobby for a few years now. Lately I've been trying to make Flash games - my first proper game will be a simple platformer. I have a mock-up level and some player sprites right now.

It's going to be fairly short, I'd just like to do something cute and simple. I'd really appreciate crits and comments on what I have so far. :) Thanks!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Bunny platformer WIP

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:44:35 am
Lots of cutesy here.

I'd suggest some larger flowers growing on the rocks to bring in diversity where needed. The only thing that looks questionable to me are those golden? SMB3-inspired blocks. I don't see any link between their look and the rabbit theme and they're clearly one level below the quality of the rest of your art. Maybe a trunk or a log could replace them ? or whatever fits the theme of the adversaries (you're gonna have some sort of monsters, right ?)

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:02 am
Thanks for the feedback!
Do you mean on the "background" bits of rock? That'd help break up the monotony.
I wasn't really sure where I was going with those blocks, I may remove them. I think the grey ones may need work as well - they were meant to be stone but they turned out too metallic.

And yes, there will be monsters! I'm still not quite certain what they'll be, which is why they're not here yet.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:56:51 am
Concept art + preliminary mockup for a later area, a night time forest

Tiles need work on a lot of fronts... :/ I need to simplify it first of all, I think - it doesn't fit the  feel of the first area at all right now.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:01:21 pm
I actually think those nighttime tiles are actually pretty good, they match the style of the first scene's tiles pretty well.  I think the colors are off though, they give the whole scene a more grim view than what would match with the first.  The first's tiles used pretty saturated colors; perhaps add some more saturation to the second's as well, and that might fix it?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:21:01 pm
Looks good. Very cute style you have here.

On the night scene, you need to lower the contrast on the highlights. They are too bright right now and make things look plastic, not organic.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:31:32 pm
Nice start, cute lil wabbit, everyone loves platformers, and mockups ;D. To my mind, the simplest way to unify the two scenes at the moment would be to afford the first a background and, as blu said; get rid of the highlights in the second.

A pet peeve of mine is repetitive ground tiles so I jumped in and demonstrated how some variations could look, as well generally simplifying and clarifying things, going bluer. I would also watch out that some of your little bg elements (flowers, blocks etc.) don't get lost in such a large frame. Could probably still do with a little more contrast.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:56:49 pm by Facet »

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 02:27:13 am
Thank you all for the feedback, and thanks for the edit, Facet - that does look a lot better. I'm putting this on hold for finals week, but after that I'll pick it up again and rework things.