AuthorTopic: God of Box ~ Update, which is better?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

God of Box ~ Update, which is better?

on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:26 am
*** Update below ***

Cheers,

It's been a while since I started developing a small game for my thesis. Originally i wanted to do an RPG (check out http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=12926.0) but unfortunately I had to stop because I didn't have the skills to pull of the engine. Instead, I started doing a fancy spin-off of Tetris called God of Box. I'd very much like your input on the graphics (and gameplay if you feel like it).

You can check download the game here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5419498/GOB%20-%20Public%20Beta%200.65.zip (Make sure to unzip it before giving it a go)
(If you play it, I'd be thrilled if you filled out the question form included afterwords)
Or check out the fancy screenshots below.
(I will upload stand-alone versions of the different assets soon)

Let me know what you think,
~ Mads

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:11:06 pm by vedsten »

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: God of Box ~ Help me improve my game

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:39:14 am
Lots of fun. Climber mode definitely isn't my favorite mode in Tetris games, but the explosion/delay mechanic seems interesting.

Graphics look great. Really, I can't find much to critique. Are background tiles coming? Seems a little empty.

Controls are kinda weird from what I expect. The common scheme is setting Z/X/C to serve as A/B/C buttons. Also, as a Tetris player, I expect Arrow Up to be hard drop, not rotate. I suggest putting Rotate Left and Rotate Right on Z and C, respectively. In menus Z should be Accept, X should be Cancel. Implementing Hard Drop would be great too.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:40:28 am
Do you plan on adding backgrounds to it? I don't have a problem with the tiles themselves; they're pretty nice looking.
The thing that is bothering me is the flat black background. The tiles themselves look like they belong in an SNES game, whereas flat color backgrounds definitely don't. It's kind of jarring!

Edit: Played the game. Lack of music and background is ultra depressing. I played about eight levels because the gameplay is definitely neat, but the game's atmosphere killed me. Add some cute classical music or something if you're not a composer yourself. And if you don't feel like making complex backgrounds (if it's due soon or whatever), you could always go the puzzle bobble route: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsd8fM9Aq8

Actually, the music is great there, too. I got ridiculously far in that game when I was a kid, and never got sick of the music, even though it just repeats forever. The way the music speeds up when you're about to die is great, too, but I don't know how you'd implement that in your game. Maybe it'd work when the robot is about to fall into lava or something...

And I filled out the questionnaire thing for you, but I basically just repeated what I said here, lol.

Edit edit: Also, the bot's animation is very nice. Also, I kept on wishing there was a button to make him walk faster, especially when I had the puzzle completely solved. "Hurry up, you little bastard!" Also, I kept on hitting space for fast drop, which ended up making me reset levels over and over again, hahah. Ended up getting used to it though.

Edit Edit Edit: Beat the "Easy" levels now. Your game is a bit glitchy though. Right now the reset button doesn't work half the time. Also, I went through the level menus, shut off the menu, and then re-entered it, and all the easy levels were listed as Hard, with all the other menus being empty.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:09:04 am by jams0988 »

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:22 pm
@ blumunkee ~ Thanks! Regarding the keys - I'm planning a 2player mode so I'd really like to reserve the left side of the keyboard for a second player. I however, it's a persistent issue during testing I'll look into it.

@ Jams ~ Thanks, I'm gonna weed out the Bugs in the next build! I see your point about music, better start finding a someone who can help me with that.

As for backgrounds, I'm trying some different approaches atm.. I have a hard time keeping it nice and clear, but I think i might be on to something:
(just some quick mockups)

Which do you guys prefer? (It's gonna parralax scroll when you climb up)

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,
Mads