AuthorTopic: Beginner looking for advice  (Read 2790 times)

Offline muunroc

• View Profile

Beginner looking for advice

on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:18 am
I just started pixel art. I threw together a simple doodle - please don't mind the characteristics, I just wanted to get curves in there. This is my first time pixeling over lineart. The shading on the chest is opposite the lighting and I did it without any real reason. I wanted to know what I should practice with first, what I should do to enhance this. Even though it's just a doodle, I'll stick with it. If you want, please go ahead and fill in anything you want.

I'm showing 3 pictures. The doodle, the pixel lineart, and basic color fills. What and how should I improve or continue.

Offline muunroc

• View Profile

Re: Beginner looking for advice

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:15:25 am
Sorry about the size of the images, my first image post here. Next posts will be right size.

Offline muunroc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:32:31 am
Ok, since I'm still getting used to the forum, here is the latest image, at the right size (I will be more careful next time). I moved the shadows, the lightsource is from bottom right.

The character is an incomplete doodle, but the idea is that it floats. Like a seamonkey. I would like to animate it. I thought a good simple floating animation is a fair start, keeping it simple. I was hoping someone could recommend a good animation package for sprites. Is Image ready in Photoshop CS worth working with?

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:55:30 am
The figure needs to be more sculpted. Make parts of it protrude and recline to give it more interest.

Offline jinza

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:08 am
yeah you should fix the proportions of the body and make it look more like a body first

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:43 am
It's really hard to give you any proper advice on how to apply stuff since I don't have a clue what your friend is!
Is he some kind of an insect?

An advice is also to not hesitate into everything at one time. Believe me, animation is not fun when there is a lot of stuff that is not solved yet.
Try concentrating on one thing at a time and then move on.

The first thing I think of when I see the flying green insect/dwarf is that you need to clean up the lines. There is a big different, believe me or not, between 2 pixels and 3 pixels.
So you have to work with your curves, like yaomon17 did, the face he redrew got a lot more cleaner shapes and rounder corners. Try to apply that before you start colouring and
animating.