AuthorTopic: 16 Bit Characters  (Read 6671 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: 16 Bit Characters

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:52:06 am
The shading/perspective is better, but I think the pose authentically sucks. Why so rigid?

The silhouette of rikfuzz's edit was one of it's greatest improvement IMO. I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by considering "SNES" a style, instead of a set of color/memory restrictions.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:19 am
I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by considering "SNES" a style, instead of a set of color/memory restrictions.

I know, and it goes against my grain to have it this way, but we want it to feel familiar, even if that means not looking as good as it can. I'm definitely considering changing that, though, but it's a group decision that I agree with enough (for now, at least, we'll see how it is when I start animating and all that).

Offline BladeJunker

• Know your limits, then break them.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:06 pm
Well just finished watching the GI playthrough of Overblood and moved onto their Overblood2 video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krG1UPu-4m4

While I thought your FF style was kind of an odd match for Overblood1 it definitely falls in line with Overblood2 which is much more colorful and stylized. I was thinking if you're going to stick to this human proportion maybe you could try for the Overblood2 look which reminds of old school adventure games plus Twinsen which I referenced earlier. Mostly what I suggest distills down to showing a wider contrast and range of body types in a cartoony sense IE. Hunk, Fat guy, Babe, Stretch the tall guy and other broad types. Anyway just some ideas on style, also the GUI looks better in O2 imho. :)