AuthorTopic: [Finished] Platformer bg: Waterfall.  (Read 12722 times)

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer bg: Waterfall. C+C needed

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:42 pm
really amazing waterfall.. sorry i can't tell anything ! maybe i can make an objection about rock color:

this is seams much better

So i'm thinking it will be more realist to avoid a straight line for the very hig waterfall because the water come with lot of speed, like this :

Could you try to make a test with more contrast ?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:59 pm
great composition. The waterfall flows better at slower pace, imho. I suppose the relatively low contrast comes from the fact this is purely a non-interactive layer of your platformer.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:50:58 pm
Rydin, this was really helpfull. Thank you, It helped!

coffee, I understood the part about splashes, did try to make them bigger and to remove some individual pixels. I'm not shure about the wind, Don't know how to add it properly. Here's a try.

Hideon, I thought it was alright. Can you illustrate your idea?

Update:

I've made lot's of small enhancements for the sake of the great justice. Added a little AA, tweaked little details, polished waterfalls, changed splashes, moved a piece of forest further away.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:30:37 pm by Sohei »

Offline jinza

• View Profile

Re: [Finished] Platformer bg: Waterfall.

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:41:15 pm
you wouldn't happen to have a tutorial on this would you?

Offline mitDebo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:54:14 pm
I second the tutorial notion. I think that looks super amazing, and anything that can give insight into how it was created would be greatly appreciated.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:29 pm
Highlight of two elements that could need more polish:

the rock outcrop over the line on your picture has an horizontal seam along this line, as if cut/pasted from somewhere else.
On the box (and at other places), it looks like rocks are actually rectangular shapes with nice rock texture painted on them, rather than being more sophisticated 3D objects casting shadow, etc. I'd love to provide an edit later on, but I'm not sure I'll have the level to improve it ...

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 05:28:53 pm
PypeBros, they're not pasted, everything has been done manualy. At first I was drawing them as boxes and then decided to change shapes and make more variable volume. Thanks for pointing out, I've applied changes for these parts. Other parts may also require changes, but I'm afraid to make it too detailed for a background. They are already too detailed in my opinion and I don't know how to make a gracefull downgrade. I also need to study rocks more, you are right. Thanks a lot for advices!

jinza, mitDebo, sorry guys, I've spent on this piece four days. I'm not ready to spend another four making a tutorial. -_- Really sorry.