AuthorTopic: The Delay  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

The Delay

on: April 21, 2012, 06:38:31 pm

The current colors are placeholders until I put together a palette.

I'm thankful for any kind of input, anything is subject to change well except the core Idea.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: The Delay

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:57:22 pm
"Failing artistically gallery"? Another self-deprecating artist. Welcome to the phoald.

Anyway, sure, why not some crit, I overate this morning so I afford this

INITIATE CRITBARF SEQUENCE. GARBAGECOLLECTION(NULL)=TRUE.ZOMG

First thought - why did he texture the tree's foliage that way; distracting, makes no sense. Looks like two striped snakes gettin' they freak on.
What is the intention here? What is the desired end-result? Seems like a random pixel piece fueled by little to no inspiration - landscape and a tree . . ? Bored + double-clicked my Paint shortcut. Wild.
Tree looks like one of those typical safari trees, yet there's the obligatory mountain range in the BG.
Time of day must be sunrise/morning? Whether it's early morning or late at night greatly affects the scene's colors, yet the current palette doesn't acknowledge this.
Compositiony stuff - Either center your tree or place it on a 1/3's mark. The sun partially blocked by the tree creates a bad tangent, IMUO (In My Useless Opinion). The moon saves the top third of the scene from extreme boredom, I like it, though I don't like it's ditherscanlines much, maybe just a standard crescent?
Tree has 2 shadows, why? One is from sun, other is from . . ?
You could add meaning to this scene by placing a resting lion or something under the tree. It would feel less inanimate.
You take no risks. This scene is plain. Turn it into an alien landscape or something. Use unusual colors, and create some odd natural phenomenons. Be adventurous.
The plane is too plain. Less is more, but there's an art to it.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:02:10 pm by Mathias »

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 12:17:52 pm
Self-depreacting?not at all its the contrary actually, but I guess its anything but evident that the statement in question is meant in a positive manner, well anyway back to the important stuff.

Repixelled the foilage tweaked some colors, what are the current ones lacking to clearly show that its morning?
Regarding the tangent, I thought that this is what aligning for- and background objects are labeled, whereas here the foliage is clearly overlapping the sun. Also attempted texturing the plane, never intended to leave it plain.
I think the moon is fine as it is, I mean after all you were able to recognize it as one. Yeah I've read about the rule of thirds, but on this piece there is nothing there to compete with the tree, so I think I'm not gonna make use of it this time, unless it has some other function besides shifting attention to an object.About the 2 shadows one is from the sun and the other from the sky.As for adding meaning, I can't think of anything more superfluous in a piece, to me all I'm looking for are shapes and colors that are appealing to my eyes.

Where the piece is currently standing

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:28:41 pm
I don't get why you place the shadow of the trees leaves right under the tree, like it's twelve o'clock in the afternoon. While the trunks shadow seems to be alright. ???
I think the new tree is way better.

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 06:58:11 pm
As stated above I'm considering 2 lightsources the sun and the sky, thats why the shades are the way they are.
Further update:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:03 pm
Opposite of self-deprecation certainly isn't announcing to the world you're an artistic failure, but whatever. Not the point of this thread. . .

CRITBARF REGURGITATION EXPULSION CLEANUP ON AISLE17, PLEASE.NOW=TRUE
The bg has an obvious color tinting, but not the fg.
"Regarding the tangent, I thought that this is what aligning for- and background objects are labeled, whereas here the foliage is clearly overlapping the sun."  What?/not understanding . . . The undesirable tangent effect is when there's an area in a composition where multiple things coincidentally intersect and/or form a concentration of details that is potentially found to be confusing, even unsettling/unattractive to the eye. Best avoided. The sun/mts/tree tangent could be worse, but it could also be better.
Yes, obviously it's a moon, what else would a faint, curved shape in the sky be. Just because I can recognize human and animal figures in Picasso's Guernica, does that mean they couldn't be rendered more clearly? Yes it's cubism, but you're not doing cubism.
You don't understand the rule of thirds like I do, I guess. It's simply a device for artists/photogs to strike up pleasing compositions, which is based on human nature itself - what/why the eye finds a composition pleasing or not. No need for "competing" elements in order to utilize it.
If you're referring to ambient, diffused light from the environment that's causing the downward shadow, I don't see how that works - ambient light isn't directional, it doesn't cause hard shadows. Right now, your tree is telling us there are two light sources, one above, one in front. Can you find a photographic example?
No AA. Color conservation? Perhaps. But is it to a detriment?
Canopy detail is still rather odd. Think simpler. Forget about trying to convey every leaf/branch, just imply them.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:48:53 pm
Really quick (about 2 minutes) edit for just one point, the light source is behind the tree, but its shading pretty much completely flat all over. Just a suggestion-

Not saying this is the way to go, just that there are better ways. Especially since the trunk is shaded that way.

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:30:24 am
Repixeled the foilage, now it considers the sun too and tinted the foreground blue, except for the directly by the sun lit parts, those were tinted yellow.Also weakend the shadow under the tree and broadened it plus some cleaning up on the steppe.

About the moon it only costs me one cluster, is vague enough and can be recognized as a moon, I don't see why I should change it.Regarding the composition/tangent no matter how I look at it in this case rather than unsetting/unattractive it feels calming/serene even when mirrored.

I know I'm barely reusing colors, the reason fot that is retaining/emphasizing the visual heirachy.

What spots would you say need AA?

Current peculiarity:

Offline Magides

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:37:52 am
I feel like I shouldn't be able to see the dirt towards the horizon with so much grass.  The closer the grass, yes, but the further should be less and less dirt.

Offline Lóng

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:48:47 pm
Good point, reduced the visible dirt in the distance, changed the foilage once more plus some minor edits, I think the piece is slowly getting there.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:18:01 pm by Lóng »