AuthorTopic: Damage Status  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Damage Status

on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:32 pm
Since you guys were so helpful last time with your comments about my tree, I figured I'd post here to get some critique about this.

I'm working on a game about learning Japanese (it's a RPG). I've decided to use Doom's damage display style.

What I'm not satisfied with is the general readibility and the slime with the cuts. I'd prefer to keep things about this size although I suppose I could go bigger if I had to. I'd like to have something small and readible. I do realize it's small however.

The red mouth doesn't blend really well either, I've tried other colors without any satisfying results.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Damage Status

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51:08 pm

Doom's face status shows an obvious progression of bad to worse. Your damage states appear random, to me.

One issue is that it's so small, detail is hard to convey.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:35:45 am
Right now you are relying on surface details to distinguish the images.
If you want to keep the same size there are other ways to show change.

Change in color is recognizable at almost any size:

Motion is also easily readable and makes each state more unique:

A couple other options:
1. If you want to keep him a single color you could make each step go down in saturation.
2. If you only want static images you could change his form, by having him deflate or melt.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:43:08 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:01:00 am
You're right, they are too small. I guess I wanted to lazy out of that one. Your edits are awesome by the way.

@Mathias: Yes, they're too small, I'll redo them but I need to keep the color however.

I'll post it here once I'm done.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:15:29 am
These remind me of rocketslime! Which is where I got my screen name. These are great. Just wish you did a bit of hue-shifting in your palette.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 06:13:02 pm
Hello again,

I wanted to give the classic life bar to display damage and make up my mind about which system I'd prefer afterwards.

What do you think? The skull is a huge improvement over what I usually do but the bar itself could use something more original. Any ideas? I'd rather avoid hearts like Zelda since I already have one there or red orbs but I'm running out of ideas.

The characters read ''life'' (heart) and ''death'' (skull). The top bar is full and the bottom one is empty.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 07:41:20 pm
don't miss the status icon for Cool Spot, too. It may work better with your kind of character than the one from Doom/Wolfenstein.