AuthorTopic: punchy punch robot fun  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

punchy punch robot fun

on: April 20, 2012, 05:58:25 am
bleh, i feel like i should know how to fix this but i've looked at it so much aaghhhhhhh
so i started with this

but i wanted it to have more weight to it, kind of like the fights in the big-o, so i ended up with this

but that doesnt have anywhere near as much power as the first one. basically, i want it to have a lot of weight, but still look powerful.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: punchy punch robot fun

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:40:09 am
I think you need some buildup! Some anticipation!

I apologize for the sloppiness. I'm really tired and was just going to go to bed. I hope that you can take something from this!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:00:15 am
Agree with Kcilc.

Is that a Dust Buster 2000?

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 11:26:13 am

What you have isn't as bad as you might think.
It's a pretty solid foundation.
I barely did any drawing.

Will explain how this works tomorrow.
For now just download the gif and flip thru the frames in GraphicsGale.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Helpful Bot

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:34 pm
Why do you make the sprite shake? Wouldn't it be better if you made the whole screen shake when used rather than only the sprite

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:36:54 am
Oh right my bad.
The exact same stuff I was going to cover here can be found in the Project Entropy thread.

Again very little drawing here.
Mostly just select tool animation.

The multi-frame I created from your drawings looks like this:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline jinza

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:03 pm
you just need that pause right before you make the animation punch down and make it slow and smoother it's a bit too fast

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:13 am
Gurren Lagann? :3
but that doesnt have anywhere near as much power as the first one. basically, i want it to have a lot of weight, but still look powerful.
Actually, I disagree. I like your second one a lot! Big-O (and Evangelion and Gurren Lagann!) did things right where a lot of other giant robot anime fail, because the robots move and fall realistically slowly. People tend to think that since a giant robot is human shaped, it should tip over and land on its back in the same time it takes a human to fall over, which is obviously false. A person hits the ground in a second (or less) after tripping, but a giant robot's head has to travel hundreds of feet before it hits the ground...

Basically, your second one is refreshingly realistic, in my opinion. I'm sure there's a way you could make it look even better, but right now, you're really conveying a good sense of scale for your robot - I'd be able to tell he was huge even without the car there for reference, which is impressive.

Honestly, your first one looks a little silly if it's supposed to be a large robot. It's too quick and cartoony. Your robot has a great sense of weight in your revision, which is what a giant robot needs most, hahah. I wouldn't worry about too much about the "power" you mentioned - the second one looks like he'd easily crush a house!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:37:32 am by jams0988 »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:13:41 am
I'll agree with jams here only if the robot is supposed to be massive.  If so then yes you need to have the a large amount of slow build and then very even spacing with a lot of frames.  

Take a look at this http://brendanbody.blogspot.com/2010/04/weight-problem.html

This should help.  It's helped me out loads.

If it's not supposed to be massive then you can get away with quick speedy movements.

However if it is massive and still moves quickly only the comparison of it's size to others will inform how big it is.  Also if it's on it's own in say a close up action sequence it won't feel massive because there will be nothing to compare it to.

I suppose you can have a happy medium.  I think.

Oh something else you can try.  If the robot moves fast; other smaller things could move faster.  That might work.

Something I forgot to ask.  Is that phallic part telescopic?  If not then how can it punch the ground like that?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:22:46 am by Mike »