AuthorTopic: Barbarian mockup  (Read 9111 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Barbarian mockup

on: June 06, 2006, 12:28:15 pm
Sup guys! Long-time lurker here, finally making my debut!!

*golf clap*

Eh, anyway, this is a mock-up of a Barbarian remake that I've wanted to create for a while. But since there's so much work involved, I'll probably never get around to it. Oh well, one can always dream.

C & C is very much appreciated, especially if you know how to make hands that doesn't look retarded..  :-[

[Old version]
The mockup http://i6.tinypic.com/11ueno9.png
The BG http://i5.tinypic.com/11ueo95.png
The character templet http://i5.tinypic.com/11ueog3.png
And for those of you that are C64 challenged, here's the original
http://i6.tinypic.com/11uer7p.png

Edit:

I tried to adjust some of the things mentioned below. A little polish on the BG, a little plastic surgery on the Barbarian himself, etc. Thanks for all the help!

New version:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 05:58:29 am by junkboy »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: Barbarian mockup

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:34:53 pm
i'm liking everything.
you have excellent pixel art skills, sir!
welcome then!
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:36:39 pm
Ooh, very nice. There's another chap doing a Barbarian remake over at Retro Remakes, only his graphics are pap compared to yours. :)
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 02:16:33 pm

Check the guy on the left.

I agree that the hands were the weakest part of this otherwise piece (which effin rules, dude). Their positioning relating to the sword's handle was what seemed more off, i changed that and also tried to enhance the contrast between hand and fingers with the shading. Also did a few changes to the forearms, even though he's this steroid pumping maniac, i think the muscle definition on the forearms was a bit too much, softened it a bit and redid it so it adapted to the slight hand changes of the edit.

Also lengthened the sword (trying to make it closer to the original version, while making it a size that seems more, i dunno, right). We're talking about decapitating a guy with a clean blow here, we can't be bothered with Freudian associations goddamit.

(Not edited) I think the shadows are a bit off, they look like the lightsource is above & behind the fighters, while the shading on the body indicates a lightsource mainly from above & in front of them. And, i'd use that midtone you used on the dirt to do the shadows, not that dark on you picked for them.

P.S. - you avatar RULES!!

P.P.S - you rule for making a remake mockup of Barbarian!

Offline luxregina

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 04:53:25 pm
Good job !!!

It definitely has a retro feel to it, and I like your choice of colors :)
In what langage/format do you intend to devlopp it ?

Keep up the good work !

I've been working myself on a similar remake, I assumed that you would be interested to see a different "take" on the same game :

(the sprite arms now look a tad better, I just couldn't find my sources to reupload it, but you get the idea ... )

http://grafikdezign.free.fr/barb1.jpg
http://grafikdezign.free.fr/barb2.jpg

some quick "in game" temporary video here : http://www.luxgames.net/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 05:01:21 pm by luxregina »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:01:07 pm
haha, I tried to do a barbarian remake too, 2 or 3 years ago! Let me see if I have any of the art!

here

I tried to preserve the original c64 res, only not wide-pixelled. I love your art much more than my old, though! There's this person that has already coded all of barbarian with kinda shaky graphics who contacted me back in the day if I were interested in doing new art for him, he wanted basically what you've done, double-size, but I was pretty set on normal-size. I wish I still had him on MSN, if you had all the art he could do your remake in two days or something, as the code's already there.

My advice for the idle sprite: ditch that pose, it's bad. It was always bad. Nobody holds a sword like that, most of all a barbarian. Make a new one.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:29:23 pm
hehe i played the crap out of that game, eventhough i never got that far.. before i got my head chopped off :/

junkboy:
love the colors, but like helm mentioned, maybe you should change the pose of the characters.
also, the bg looks a bit unfinished, some more AA would be nice , especially on the trees and the stones.
other then that its really cool, good luck with the project :)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 07:11:18 pm
Forkinell! That's 4 different remakes/mockups of the game that I know of now. Pity it plays like shite. :)

Mostly I prefer junkboy's, though, because it's a nice big resolution and it's all pixelled. And he's left off the crappy snake/poles - I always hated them...
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 07:25:51 pm
Dude the snake SCREAMS when you get hit. It's awesome. And Barbarian plays like crap or the remakes do? Because Barbarian plays awesomely as long as the two players agree to not roll too much.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 03:51:32 am
where's the art helm?

and good lord this is the shit, i think i'm gonna make a barbarian just for fun xD
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 04:43:15 am
The trees bother me. In some areas they look like they were cheaply (and unevenly) resized. Aside from that, I agree with all the praise.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 06:19:25 am
Turbo:
My hero! Excellent edit and crits! Especially the added thumb to his right hand, wich I completley forgot about. I've tried adjusting some of the things you mentioned, but man.. those pixel hands make me cry like a little girl.. :(

Xion Night:
They do? Well, they were! Hah, I'm such a cheap artist. Well, at least I haven't resorted to doing plain color reductions (yet). Thanks though. ;D

Kennethfejer:
Thanks, man! And yes, I agree, the BG needs more polish. I've tried to fix some of that in my edit. I'm not sure I agree with you and Helm about the pose though. Sure, it's silly (I've nicknamed it the All Star Barbarian Batter), but that's how it's supposed to be!

Helm:
I saw your image before it was taken down. Very badass, sir. It actually looked like what the Amiga version should've looked like!

About the remake guy, do you mean TBD Soft? http://tdbsoft.pullenbar.nl/html/projects/barbarian.html   I thought about just redrawing the graphics in that game for a while, but considering the ammount of work it'd involve, I thought it'd be better to just do my own thing, since I wanted to add more stuff then the original had. 50 to 60 additional frames of animation, revamped combat system, etc. But it's all a pipe dream for now.  :D

luxregina:
More remakes! Looks really cool, very faithful to the original. I dig the Conan-esque Atlantean sword you've got there, but man, what's up with the lack of furry loincloths? That just ruins the blatant homoerotiscm!  ;D

Language? Well, since I'm not a coder I've thought about making it as a MUGEN mod or something, but that'd have to be later this year since I'm caught up in another game project at the moment.

Good luck with yours, though! I'll keep an eye out for it on your website.  :)

DrDerekDoctors:
Haha, thanks! I saw the project you mentioned and obviously there's only so much you can do with the original sprites, but I think they're doing allright. :)

rabidbaboy:
Thank you!

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 06:46:13 am
where's the art helm?

and good lord this is the shit, i think i'm gonna make a barbarian just for fun xD

Good idea. This is now officially the "Post your Barbarians"-thread..  ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 03:45:12 pm
Ah yes, that's the Barbarian remake in question. Our server went offline, is the art back now? Anyway, good luck with all of that, but I don't think Mugen is going to be a good  idea. Basically get someone to code it.

Offline luxregina

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 12:06:03 pm
More remakes! Looks really cool, very faithful to the original. I dig the Conan-esque Atlantean sword you've got there, but man, what's up with the lack of furry loincloths? That just ruins the blatant homoerotiscm!  ;D

Language? Well, since I'm not a coder I've thought about making it as a MUGEN mod or something, but that'd have to be later this year since I'm caught up in another game project at the moment.

Good luck with yours, though! I'll keep an eye out for it on your website.  :)

Well, technicly, the game is more or less finished : I'm just not showing it, because there are few things i'm still unhappy with - it was made in Flash ... and I'm on a much bigger project now, i don't feel diving in Barbarian again for the moment ...

The guys at tdbsoft.tk also have my sprites and backgrounds : I beleive they are working on porting them on their game ( and adding / correcting few stuff ) ...been a while I haven't been in touch with them...

Anyway : good luck continuing your sprites, and keep us posted with the WIP :)