AuthorTopic: This is the worst idea I have ever had (WARNING: Anime)  (Read 15647 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: This is the worst idea I have ever had (WARNING: Anime)

Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:19 am
Maybe that's just me, but I don't think it's a bad thing to do. True, in most situations, you'll want to do something else. But sometimes, there's just nothing else you could do instead. Elk also did a lot of dithering between low contrasting shades on his Deathwing piece.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:16:00 pm
I guess I'll try it in several areas, and then later cry and regret it.

I'm now in what I like to think of as the "polishing the turd" phase (regardless of whether or not it's a turd, but I should assume the former for my own benefit).

I'm mostly detailing the walls right now.  As you can see I've added splashes of what I like to call a "wtf" color where I add a strange color and try to make it work, in order to add a bit of shazam.  In this case though it somehow managed to make sense as coming off as dirty.  Green might work too, though I'll stick with that color.

I'll have to move the Blue Eye's hands too, I just now realize upon typing this post (I notice a lot of mistakes in embarrassing ways) that its hands are a bit low now that I've moved a couple of heads.  Should be an easy fix.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 01:51:01 am
Not much has changed in the grand scheme of things, just working on walls and other little adjustments.

As usual, the detail is a mess right now.  I not only need to go back to it later with the image fresh out of my mind to see where I need to simplify (I'm pretty sure I overdid it), but I'll also have to clean up any unintended banding and clean up a lot of the pixel clusters and whatnot.

Offline Magides

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:51 am
you should add the guy in the tv screen to the screen in the top left corner. It would only show the corner of his hand, but would emphasize that virtual-esque feeling to it.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 06:05:05 am
I forgot about that screen.  I'll get to it for sure.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:23 am
Starting to get closer and closer to finished.

Left wall designed, started cleaning up clusters/dithering/anti-aliasing on the wall plane facing the viewer.

Added a new color for the light blue.

Will clean up characters' pixel clusters, add shazam colors to them and anything else if I can, will eventually start outlining everything and anti-aliasing everything as well.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:54 pm
Still not finished!  I am hoping to finish tonight but that's looking less like a possibility.

I can never be sure whether I used dithering properly or not, I just like the crispness.  It's black magic and I can't wish or recommend my faults and my habits upon anybody wanting to learn.

Anyway...  Still trying to clean up the clusters of all of the characters and still haven't gotten to the point where I want to say, "okay, now to add some outlining and AA and call it done".  I'm not even sure I'll even add outlining.

Obviously I reduced the color count, from about 31 to 25, and well...  I recycle colors.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 10:45:11 pm

I am calling this "finished enough to upload to PixelJoint", because it can be more finished but I'm really tired of working on it and I can always tweak it later.

Link to PixelJoint page: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/70098.htm

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:28 pm
Wow, that final rendition looks really nice!  I honestly don't see much to improve upon that other than some of the dithering on the walls -- some places don't seem to fit the style of the rest of the image, but they're honestly pretty minor spots.    :y:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:37 am
Yes, nice work.

Though, I am bugged by the weirdlt colored purple walls, and also the strange, colorful, ambiguous BG elements. They cause me to trail off, wondering . . .  =  distraction.

Also, the whole "digital grid" concept is totally lost - there being realistic (although purple) stone walls mixed with the floor grid. If a computer grid, it ought to be comprised of squares, not rectangles. And, it doesn't recede into the distance correctly - distance between left-to-right lines doesn't taper down at a constant.

The dwarf is funny.

Pixel art, man . . . takes so much dang work for what seems like so little pay-off.