AuthorTopic: help on tree trunk  (Read 6671 times)

Offline toaster

• View Profile

help on tree trunk

on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:52 pm
Hello,

I know there are tons of topics about trees, I've been reading lots of them, but got stuck anyway.
I'm trying to draw a nice tree. I have tried three times now but I am not to satisfied about the result.
The third one is the newest.

I wanted to make it even bigger, but I decided to start out small to get the shading right.
I hope you can help me improve it.

Toaster

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: help on tree trunk

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:19:48 pm
You're off to a good start, toaster.

Here is something to keep in mind when it comes to shading (and it doesn't matter if you're shading a tree, a pickup truck, or a ninja)
The over all value scale you use is directly related to the depth you can create.

The colors you're using right now are super dark, and the result it muddy with very little discernible depth. The result of these dark colors makes the tree look flat. So if you are looking to maximize the depth, one tip is to work on your color ramp.

All I did here was make your darks darker, and your lights lighter (and your mids middier :crazy:)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:10:50 pm
Thank you for your reaction and edit.

I've been playing around with the colors. The left version has a bit warmer colors. The middle one has more contrast (my favourite) The last trunk has a brighter middle brown than the middle. Better?
Do you have any tips for shading it? (I want to redo it again)

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:31:56 pm
Mhm... I think your problem here is the way you are making the shadows.
I don't like that black, too dark, and the lightest colors are unsaturated.
I'm not good with this but I made something like a "trunk study" for you. Maybe it will help you a bit.

Edit: Ah, obviously there are a lot of ways to make tree trunks apart of this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:49:00 pm by Hideon »

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:46:56 am
I've tried again regarding Hideons trunk study. My last tree didn't have a trunk texture. So, tried to improve that.
You also added roots. Since my tree haves to be in a platformer game I'll have to make a flat base. But I have made roots on the sides.
Also changed the palette again. It's really hard to get the colors right. Better?

It's just a part of a bigger tree and is not finished. I posted it now because I was wondering if I'm going the right direction now.

Edit:

Edit:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:24:33 am by toaster »

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:48:32 pm
It looks almost disgusting in how strange the bark looks. Not sure if it's what you were going for, but I love it.

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:10:47 pm
Wow, better!
But I don't like the colors you used.
I made an edit, with two trunks.
The first one is exactly the same you have but with new colors, and the second one is a "variety" with a different type of bark.
You can use both if you want.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:40 am
toaster
No offence, but your trunk look very nasty. )

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:23:50 pm
@Hideon:
I am using this dark colors because the tree is supposed to be in a dark forest at night. Here's a mockup to show what I mean:

I bet you can't spot the main character in the picture.  ;D

Ignore the backgroundtrees texture. It's an older version.
Don't you think your colors are a bit bright and saturated for this forest? In this image I aplied your colors:

Your edit sure looks good, but it's another style. I noticed you used bigger pixelclusters and didn't render to much of the trees relief. It looks really consistent. I'll see if I can use that to get rid of the noise in my version. The side-branches are a nice touch too.
Thanks for your edit and your patience.

@Daimoth:
thanks... I gues. :P
What do you mean exactly?

@Sohei:
I didn't get your reaction too. You think it's that ugly? ??? Could you tell me what you think is the problem?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:55:09 pm by toaster »

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 05:23:53 pm
Oh ok, sorry I didn't know it was supposed to be in that dark scene. It looks good together, I like it.
About the color transition in the trees of the background, well you said it's an old version, but I just want to say if the back color is dark the transition will look better dark.

Anyway good job, buddy. :)