AuthorTopic: FIRST SPRITE + QUESTIONS ABOUT IT  (Read 9093 times)

Offline Bitrovan

• View Profile

FIRST SPRITE + QUESTIONS ABOUT IT

on: April 18, 2012, 04:31:16 pm
So this is my first character. The light source is right below the mouth.

[img]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/hylijktsys/CivilianCharacter1.png[img]

Questions:

I am making a tactical turn-based rpg with a friend and from the rpgs I have seen the sprites are looking below you and not directly at you so should I change where my sprite looks?

Should there be shading on the shoes?

I have not done any animations yet but I want it to walk and run in 8 directions and jump and a swing a bat.

Do you think I should keep the dark outline? Is that a style preference?

He has thumbs if you can tell. Should I get rid of those?\

Should I use AA?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: FIRST SPRITE + QUESTIONS ABOUT IT

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 06:26:20 pm

You ask about shading shoes. If you are going to shade the sprite, shade it constantly. When you are standing in a dark room, and somebody turns on a light, do your shoes remain hidden in the dark? No, they are revealed by where the light hits them.

Keep the dark outline?  Well, one interesting thing to think about here is actually using the color of the outline to further depict the shading. Use a darker outline on dark edges, and a lighter outline on the highlighted areas. Remember, this is just one solution to your problem. Use your best judgement.

From 1x, I cannot see thumbs. I would say that because you aren't going for a very realistic person that a detail like thumbs is something that's better left for imagination on the viewer's part.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Bitrovan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:45 pm
Thanks for responding.

[img]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/hylijktsys/CharacterCivilain2.png[img]

So I made it a bit darker and got rid of the dark outline.

I think its too wide now but I'm not sure.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:40:57 pm
Hello.

Just wanted to say that you're using the forum codes wrong. Put this: /img between the clamps at the end of the image link to display it in your post :y:

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:10 pm
I think first one with lines was better, but then I like lines, also since youre going for this kind of pixel art I'd sugest you to study(?) earthbound characters,  yours just reminded me of those, heres chart I found by googleing

Offline Bitrovan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:00:34 am
Thats how it was in an example in the FAQ

I do love earthbound. Maybe thats where I got it from.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 04:46:57 pm

Keep the dark outline?  Well, one interesting thing to think about here is actually using the color of the outline to further depict the shading. Use a darker outline on dark edges, and a lighter outline on the highlighted areas. Remember, this is just one solution to your problem. Use your best judgement.

I think this is generally the best solution. Black outlines, don't look very good, and make it look amateurish. When I first started pixel art, I always used black outlines for some reason, and looking back, or playing older games of mine, I always ask myself, "WHY?"

Offline Bitrovan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:40 pm
I would like to find a way to not use a black outline but I think whether it is used or not is part of the art style. Having the black outline makes the sprite stand out more while not having a black outline makes it blend in. I think my sprite is too small so it would need a black outline or maybe just a darker outline. I'm not sure yet.