AuthorTopic: The Liberated Pixel Cup!!  (Read 4943 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

The Liberated Pixel Cup!!

on: April 11, 2012, 11:40:01 pm

Opengameart.org is very proud to announce that we are collaborating with the Free Software Foundation and the Creative Commons to bring you the Liberated Pixel Cup, a two month long summer contest about creating a consistent set of art and then making awesome games with it!

As you might imagine, this is big news for OGA -- there's no better way for us to further our mission of bringing artists and developers together to make awesome free and open source games than having the opportunity to work together with the CC and the FSF towards making that happen!

So, what are you waiting for?  Go, check out the site, and join us on IRC at #liberatedpixelcup on irc.freenode.net
(click here to chat from your browser)!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:04:56 am by CharlesGabriel »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Liberated Pixel Cup

Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:22:46 pm
I wanted to point out for those of you who haven't seen yet, there is an art contest that will focus quite a bit on pixel art called Liberated Pixel Cup, a contest to promote the creation of free games.  The art half will start on June 1st and run until the 30th.  The art that you enter will be usable by anyone who gives credit (or more accurately, be licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 and GPLv3).  I know that will bother some people, so I thought I'd point that out right away.  There will be three different prizes for the art, the exact monetary amounts will depend on how successful the donation phase is.

The purpose of the art phase is to create artwork that can be used to make entire games with a unified art style.  There is a fair amount of free artwork available on the internet, but if you try to make a full game from it the art will be mismatched.  The people running the contest are a little tired of "programmer art" so they've invested a good deal of their own money into starting this contest.

Just before the contest starts the base art and a set of guidelines will be released.  The base art works best for an RPG, but any game style is encouraged as long as it expands on the original art.  Other mediums are accepted as well, as long as it looks good with the pixel stuff.  It's hard to pull off though, so they'd prefer pixel art.

If you're interested or curious you can check out http://lpc.opengameart.org/ for more information and mockups using the current base art.  Please note that the art is still in the works so it won't be exactly the same when the contest starts.

EDIT: Thanks for merging this post with the other one!  I hadn't realized there was another one already when I posted this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:11:53 pm by Sharm »

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Re: The Liberated Pixel Cup!!

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:49 am
Haha I never noticed your post until now, Sharm. Good that you filled in some extra details for people to know.

Anyways, for those of you interested, check out the website.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 03:28:05 pm
We now officially have lifdoff!
http://lpc.opengameart.org/content/liberated-pixel-cup-art-contest-launches.

I think that this could be lots of fun for some of the folk here.  Do remember that the assets entered have to be released under CC-By-SA.  I could see how someone might view this as a sort of weird form of spec art, so be sure to read the details of the license (short version: anyone can use the assets, provided that 1) they give proper credit, and 2) they release any derivatives under the same license... but that's a simplification).
Anyway, please take a look, and enjoy.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:16:50 pm

Not really on topic, but IIRC the person who made this had a thread here for it a while back...

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:42:27 pm
That's Sharm's work.  She did the bulk of the tiles, with the exception of some castle tiles by HughSpectrum. 

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:30:28 pm
Found it.

Pixel world is pretty small, I guess.