AuthorTopic: Please advice and critique for my Pokémon like game for the iphone  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Prodigio

• View Profile
Hi, I started a new Project for the iPhone, it is a Pokémon like game, I couldn't find an artist who works with me doing the graphics and creating the monster so i decided to do it my self and this is what i got^^

Thouse are the 3 first monster i created

Here is the main character

This is an ingame screen

and here u can see an image from the battle screen, i think the graphics from the battle screen look horrible so i think i will redo them from scratch.

So thx for your time^^, would love it to get some feedback :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:41:04 pm by Prodigio »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Few things:
• Be careful about adding shades or highlights where you are unsure about where the light is coming from. Always be thinking, "how does the light hit this 3d object?"

• Doubling up outlines looks chunky and doesn't convey as much information as possible.  Remember: each pixel is precious. Do you really need 2 pixels so similar to accomplish what you are going for?
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ABC

• View Profile
I think you should either do everything in pixel art or everything in vectors, a mix of both has never looked good to me.

Offline Prodigio

• View Profile
I created a new one

Few things:
• Be careful about adding shades or highlights where you are unsure about where the light is coming from. Always be thinking, "how does the light hit this 3d object?"

• Doubling up outlines looks chunky and doesn't convey as much information as possible.  Remember: each pixel is precious. Do you really need 2 pixels so similar to accomplish what you are going for?
HI! Thx for yout comment!!!

I tried to follow your advice and came to this

But for some reason im not really happy with it :-(

I think you should either do everything in pixel art or everything in vectors, a mix of both has never looked good to me.
What vectors? i did everything in pixel art, the only thing i didnt do for my self are the letters.

Offline c0n

• View Profile
Not really CC on the art itself, but if you're planning to release this for the iPhone (which is hard in itself), you'll probably be facing lawsuits from Nintendo, just saying.

Also, I chuckled at "Lombardo", that's the last name of an Italian girl i know.  ;D

Offline mattib

• View Profile
I hope it's her surname, cause as an adjective "Lombardo" is masculine and means "from Lombardia" which is a region from northern Italy!
The "pokčmon" named Lombardo should be like a mountain or foggy creature :D

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio
My initial suggestions are to start with the actual design of the creatures. Give them more dynamic poses. Second, when attempting to emulate another style, try to make a list of things that you think the other spriter of the style you are emulating is thinking about the sprite. Pokemon Sprites rarely have the outlines of the main figure be a lighter colour than the color inside. In addition, dithering is used in jagged corners to smooth out the pixels. The main sprite should be 2-3 shades and tints of one hue. The highlights are usually a sharp contrast from the original sprite.  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:21:45 am by yaomon17 »