AuthorTopic: Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Horror Madness  (Read 19004 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Horror Madness

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:29:31 pm
I love the style, but I would question how appropriate this pastel pink tint is for a zombie game. It's not exactly gritty, but that's probably your intention. Just know it sends a contradictory message.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 08:00:23 pm
The one zombie with his arm hanging off looks a bit odd, because the broken arm looks a lot longer than is other one. The alleyway lacks detail, and really sticks out to me as something in drastic need of chage. Add trash cans or something to help define it as an alley more, and change the color for the ground there. The fact that your reused the color from the walls just makes it look like an extension of them, and looks really light and akward. Other than those few problems, I think it's an excellent piece. The little details are what really make this one stand out.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 08:04:26 pm
I think the dark tone of the road steals the attention from the rest (both sprites and other bg), since it's darker than any dark tones used elsewhere. I'd apply to it the color you've used on the shadow of the broken window, and add a few lighting effects for further volume.

Otherwise, i'm lovin it.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 09:08:18 pm
Any better?

And I apologize for the alleyway, I've done no work on it thus far, but I'll start now.
Turbo, these lighting effects you speak of, could you elaborate?

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 09:57:58 pm
Much better :) The lighting i was thinking was something along the lines of very subtle, lighter shades near the middle of the road converging towards darker ones near the sidewalks, to indicate a bit of a curve in the asfalt (i think roads have a bit of a curvature, at least the ones over here do).
Or add some shadow cast from the sidewalk, some gutters, etc.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:08:30 pm
Yeah, that road is better.

Just a design thought, but wouldn't the windows by the zombies be broken, rather than the one by th person. Like that pawn shop. Since zombies seem to make a mess when they ravage, and they're coming from the right, I would expect there to be more broken things.

Turbo makes good points about street details. This is coming along nicely.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 12:18:21 am
Wow, lovin it even nmore than I did before. The changes are all positives, far as I can tell. You still should do something about the hero and the first thin zombie.

The hero, especially, looks off balance. Probably mainly because, far as I can tell ,the back leg should be.. farther back, if you get what I mean. A complete pose revamp might not hurt (make him look more ready/design it with attack/idle/walk animations in mind maybe?), but at least balance him a bit.

The cop zombie, well... I can't really pinpoint anything, but somethign about it seems.. off... the hand's position is too stiff, or his body's too far leaning given the position of his legs, or.. something... Sorry this isn't  much help, but... I dunno, maybe someone else can help me get the words out.

The car is totally sex. God, I love that car.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 01:52:54 am
it's getting along nicely!but that alleyway ruins the whole thing, you gotta do something about that.
and the hero's weapon, looks like a baseball bat to me, but it could also be a slingshot (the cloth kind?). maybe if you made it more parallel to the ground?but not so much.Also, Xion has a point about the windows...
i'm really liking the blood splatters.^^
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:45 am
Update:

I've started work on the alleyway, just to let everyone know it hasn't been neglected, and busted up the windows on the left as well. The zombie officer's right leg has been moved up, and the hero has a slightly different stance.  Please feel free to point out any negative changes I have made, and I'll be sure to fix them.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 11:17:37 pm
yey!put bricks on the wall of the alleyway too, as it's the same building.
a foot/hand sticking out from those dumpsters wouldn't hurt either, but i guess that's up to you.
kudos on this great piece!
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.