AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] cobblestone/grass/pebble  (Read 4060 times)

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

[C+C] [WIP] cobblestone/grass/pebble

on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:45 am
I've been trying to make some walkable pebble/rock/dirt terrain for a hypothetical game. I'm somewhat pleased with the first two of the images below, but would like to hear more educated opinions. Which of the three methods would most likely result in something that looks at least slightly descent. Also, more specific questions, is the purple colors a good choice or irritating? And I've had some trouble with tiling. It seems that whenever I put any pebble/stone/dirt larger or weirder than the surrounding ones, it stands out and makes the repeating pattern noticeable. But without those unique pieces, the image looks even more repetitive and boring. Am I right in thinking that having a variation of tiles would solve this problem?
Thank you for any help and I apologize if my attempts seem elementary, I've only been trying pixel art for a few months.

edit: I changed the palette and shading on the fourth image, but it still seems very repetitive so i'll be working on that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:32:44 pm by mahhov »

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile

Re: pebble/rock/dirt tiles?

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:25:57 am
I cant give critique on your work because Im a noob but yes, having various tiles to break up the repetitiveness is fine. Many games do this. I recommend having 3 or 4 various tiles.
Come in peace or leave in pieces

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] cobblestone/grass/pebble

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:42:11 pm
so i continued working on this, and after looking at how other pieces had done similar ground, i came up with the following tiles. by the way, i copied two of the colors from someone else's palette. and i tried to get around the repetitiveness with three variations of the cobblestone tile, 3 variations of the transition tile, and 9 variations of the grass tile. i would appreciate advice on how to make the grass and cobblestones be on the same plane, right now they seem to be two different images put next to each other.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:59:15 pm
How big are your tiles?   It looked like 32x32 in the first batch, but now it looks arbitrary.  Size of tile can make a difference in how repetitive it looks. If it is 32x32 don't have it repeat within the tile itself.  It may help to not make it wallpapery by adding some clusters of rocks in some places and more thinned out in others.  Also shadows and highlights in broader sections than just one bit of gravel at a time.  You could also imply the separation of the rocks instead of outlining all of them.

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:51 pm
thank you for the suggestions. for the first batch, the orange tiles were 16x16 and the purple one was 32x32. for the newer ones, they were initially 16x16, but after an accident i resorted to making them all 16x15. i'm curious in attempting your last two suggestions, the one referring to overall highlights, and the one about implying separation without outline. I'll try finding some examples to look at, but you you explain why their should be overall highlight/shadow difference since they're all on the same flat plane? i'll try working on the outline though. Also, of the four styles I attempted, which would you recommend I continue working on?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:32:59 pm by mahhov »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:47 pm
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't been around lately, too much work to do!

I wasn't suggesting a difference in heights but in spacing.  Leave more spacing between some rocks and less in others.  You've already got a little of that going on in your new cobblestone tile. Or, if you prefer, you could just do bigger differences in size.  I've been harping on this a lot with everyone lately, but real world references are always a good idea.

For an example of not outlining the stones all the way, look at the floor here.  Image is from Seiken Densetsu 3.

As for which style, any of them could work.  I would suggest not doing 16x15 tiles though, that could cause all sorts of weirdness.  It all depends on what you want from your game, do you want to work small or big?  What type of game are you trying for?  Do you know what size your sprite will be at so you know what scale you want?  You just need to pick one and we'll help you refine it.

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:38 pm
Thank you, your comment and posted image are very helpful. I will post a revision of my tile with the help of you suggestions. However, to be honest, I won'd be working on pixel art again until mid-may due to end of the year exams at my school that are coming up during the next few weeks. but I will get back to these tiles seeing as you've given great tips and seeing as I don't imagine haveing anything time consuming required after mid-may. thank you.