AuthorTopic: (WIP) Battle Bunnies sprites  (Read 3603 times)

Offline AngerAlone

• View Profile

(WIP) Battle Bunnies sprites

on: March 30, 2012, 02:02:25 pm
Hey all, my friend and I are working on a mobile tactical rpg (isometric) and I've got some sprites I've been working on for the characters in game. This is my first time ever working with pixel art sprites for anything (I typically just draw/paint) and I wanted some feedback from those of you who are more experienced.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:33:43 am by AngerAlone »

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Re: (WIP) Battle Bunnies sprites

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:08:19 am
These are pretty good mate, don't really have much for critique.

Hmm, on the other hand, I do find that replacing the black outline with their proper colors usually looks better, you could always try doing that and seeing if you like it. You'd probably be better off in the long run if you got rid of the black outlines, it makes things feel more tangible or whatever.

I just noticed Elmer Fudd got turned into a wascly wabbit haha.

Offline AngerAlone

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:42:30 pm
Hey, thanks a lot for the critique. When I made them the first time around I used their actual colors for the outline, but I just didn't like it as much as the black outlines. With black it just seems to pop, and the game is supposed to have a super cartoony feeling to it. Perhaps when I get around to making the tiles and surrounding sprites I'll decide against the black outlines. I'm not sure.

One thing that has been bothering me that I can't seem to figure out is how to make their faces "pop". Right now (especially with Lucyfur) it feels like their faces aren't large/detailed enough to be expressive. Does anyone know of any tricks to make them stand out more?

Offline AngerAlone

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:45 pm
Finished a couple more and made some changes to the first couple.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:37 am
I think your shading make them look a bit strange, like they're cardboard cutouts.

Also the way you've done the faces, they do not really follow the shape of their heads.
It's like one of those photoshops where you erase someones face and paste in a new one.

I had a go at an edit..

The perspective on the left arm should be changed too, so it looks like it's further back..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 04:18:55 am by Seiseki »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:01:33 am
They're really good, aside from the black outline. It's a personal preference, but I just do not like black outlines on pixel art, it always make it look much more flatter and un-shaded, so I suggest using a darker color and going with that  :crazy: :ouch: