AuthorTopic: My first Animation (WIP)  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

My first Animation (WIP)

on: April 05, 2012, 01:05:53 pm
So this is a Tobi's mask. I just got an animation software and so decided to animate something and hence I chose something easy. I decided to make Tobi from Naruto anime. I made his mask and shown sharingan. If you have compliments please put em here. Thanks in advance for help and sorry again to those who helped me making with Charaka.

Here:
Are you Looking for a an Advertising Agency to advertise your product? Then Emerald Advertising is just for you!

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: My first Animation (WIP)

Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:55:14 pm
Among other things, the major element you are missing is Timing:

Read thru this:
http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/aim/a_notes/anim_principles.html

Although directed at film animation it is still applicable to other mediums.
Play around with some of the ideas it gives you.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:14:15 pm
A big thanks for help, but... I didn't understand any of those things. Would you mind explaining in a better way?
Are you Looking for a an Advertising Agency to advertise your product? Then Emerald Advertising is just for you!

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:28:08 pm
If I understand his point, basically, what you have is too rushed. I see maybe two or three frames of it coming toward the front and then it just stops completely. Give the movement a sense of weight behind it, start it off slow, let it accelerate, and then quickly decelerate when it's where it needs to be.

And to do this you'll probably need to double or triple the amount of frames.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36:01 pm
If you have four frames of a line moving left to right, you might represent them like this:
|   |   |   |

but if you move the 2nd frame closer to the first and the 3rd closer to the last, you get a smoother looking animation because it shows acceleration and deceleration in the timing:
|  |     |  |

You can add more contrast to the spacing for a more dramatic, snappy effect.
||         ||

There's other little things that can improve things (like a small anticipation movement in the opposite direction before the main movement, or a little overstretch near the end that's further than the final resting position), but you'll have to experiment!  It's pretty fun.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 11:53:02 am
A big thanks for help, but... I didn't understand any of those things. Would you mind explaining in a better way?

Admittedly the link I gave you lacks visual examples.
Since animation is visual it doesn't always help to read about it in words.

I searched around for a video and this is the best thing that I could find:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqGL1ZLk3n8

It's straight forward, short, and isolates each example without other distractions.
Unfortunately even though the animations are nice they are still lacking in teaching the technical skills to achieve each principle.
They only show you.
They do not show you how.
The description states "Designed as a memory aid", so it assumes that you already know what each one means.

The 12 principles themselves are not ALL there is to animation.
They are just a good place to start.
Many more tricks and techniques exist.
I can't seem to find any information about them on the internet.
But of course better material may be out there and I am just not finding it.

Search around and see what you can dig up.
You will find TONS of examples.
It's not that I think they are bad quality.
Although some of them are misleading or completely wrong.
I have just been unable to find any sources that are similar to the way that I was taught animation.

If you are REALLY REALLY interested I can cover maybe 1 topic a week (or less depending on how much work I have).
There's just no way I can explain it all in 1 post.

However if you are more interested in just small pointers for this specific animation that's cool.
But it may be difficult to apply without a good understanding and practice of the fundamentals.

Also Phlakes and rikfuzz both make solid points.
Keep their advice in mind as you work.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Aastikya

• View Profile
    • Emerald Advertising

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:40:53 pm
I am grateful to all of you for your efforts in making me understand. And after that I tried to remake the mask:

In the remake, I tried to make the starting slow and then the eye movements faster, as Phlakes tried to explain me.

Well, it's sad that I missed the last comment by PixelPiledriver yet, from the video I completely understood the movements in anticipation. Thanks once again.