AuthorTopic: Need Advice on game project Tileset [WIP]  (Read 4505 times)

Offline xantus

• View Profile

Need Advice on game project Tileset [WIP]

on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:03 am

I'm currently developing a 2D pixelated game for a school project, and it's my first time doing pixel art, I have read a few tutorials, but I'm bad at finding my own mistakes, yet i can see that my "art" is somewhat off... so to say. so i came here for advice. how can i improve my tile-set? the grass looks horrible IMO but i can't seem to find any tutorial for non isometric grass.
some advice please?

thank you in advance
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:42:14 pm by xantus »

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Re: Need Advice on game project Tileset

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46:15 pm
Well, it's a good start, but in my opinion there are some things you can improve.

- First of all, the difference between the darkest purple and the darkest brown is too large, it maybe would be better if you increase the number of colors to make it looks finer.
- The colors are well selected, but with just that colors the rocks don't look "deep", I would add a bit more of a darker color, and use more dark to make profundity with shadows.
- I don't like so much how grass looks actually, sorry...

Here an example (my rocks aren't awesome but I show them just for the palette)
Yes, the grass is missing in mine.

* Maybe someone will disagree *

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:08:58 pm
Real life references are your friend.  I also have a collection of pixel art that I like or that does things in a way or style that I'd like to try out so I can see how other people did the same thing I'm doing.  This also may be of use to you: http://blog.semisecretsoftware.com/sexy-tiles-sidescrollers

Once you've got an idea of what you want and have your references handy, draw it very loosely.  Use a bigger brush, don't refine or outline anything.  Just get the idea of what lighting and volume you want on the screen.  Worry about how well it tiles later.  Right now what you have is all outlines and shapes, the lighting on the dirt/stone is front on, not top down like the grass.  Personally, I have a harder time seeing how the tiles will interact if I'm doing them one at a time.  It might be a good idea to start with a very generalized mock up and build the tiles from there.

I guess my point is, when it looks good from really far away, then you can start refining and detailing.

Offline xantus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:05 pm

wow, that totally put mine to shame.... ahem... well yes, I'm here to learn ... i guess... ill see what i can manage to do .... the way you're drawing the rocks, is there any tutorial for that? it looks amazing

Offline RAMENSHOP

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:49 pm
This is the main point.

Offline xantus

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:57 pm
I'm trying to fix it as much as possible before the release of the DEMO (Thursday, 2 days from now)
but the grass looks horrible, help?

;D and this forum kind crushed my moral, lol didn't even realize how bad i was at this.
also thanks for the tips, I'm trying to follow them as much as i can but as previously mentioned I'm quite new to this and not very talented.

*sigh* i know it's not much better but hey atleast I'm trying
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:08:07 pm by xantus »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:45 pm
;D and this forum kind crushed my moral, lol didn't even realize how bad i was at this.

and it's my first time doing pixel art

Well there's your problem (although not really a problem). You can't expect to write a novel when you're just learning a language, so learn more and practice. Like any kind of art, you won't be at the level you want for a pretty long time, but if you don't work at it it won't happen at all.

And the best thing for you to do is look at references and study the techniques they use. Check the tiles Ramen posted and look very closely at how they form the blades of grass and clusters of dirt, try to recreate it, and then try doing it on your own using the techniques you learned.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Need Advice on game project Tileset [WIP]

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:59 pm

One quick fix you can do to make it "pop" is adjust the contrast.
You don't have a very noticeable difference between the darker hues and the lighter hues.
Make the darks darker and the lights lighter.
POP!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.