AuthorTopic: First slime WIP (Animated! badly...)  (Read 2999 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

First slime WIP (Animated! badly...)

on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:59 pm
Hey! I have been interested in looking at, and reading about, pixel art but I never really try to make any myself. To make a change to this, I decided to do that most people do; make a slime! It's very WIP and I tried and animation, but probably not sucessfully!

I would love C&C as well as compliments ;)

(looking at the big view, I notice I completely mucked up the highlights. I will edit that later when I have more C&C, so then I have a few things to pixel to keep me occupied ;D)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: First slime WIP (Animated! badly...)

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:19 pm
I've always thought that the shade in the center of a transluscent slime comes from its body being on the ground. And because of the transparency you can kinda of make it out, even though they're standing on top of it. As such, when a slime jumps, that shade should decrease as the slime is leaving the ground for a bit. Thinking about it, I'm not sure that you're trying to convey a jumping movement, but that's how I first interpreted it. Thus I did an edit to try and show what I mean with the decreasing shadow.

Also tried to make the reflections a bit more dynamic. I'm not too satisfied with the results though! Thought I'd just show it anyway, to maybe give some new ideas.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:24 pm
I've always thought that the shade in the center of a transluscent slime comes from its body being on the ground. And because of the transparency you can kinda of make it out, even though they're standing on top of it. As such, when a slime jumps, that shade should decrease as the slime is leaving the ground for a bit. Thinking about it, I'm not sure that you're trying to convey a jumping movement, but that's how I first interpreted it. Thus I did an edit to try and show what I mean with the decreasing shadow.

Also tried to make the reflections a bit more dynamic. I'm not too satisfied with the results though! Thought I'd just show it anyway, to maybe give some new ideas.

Thats exactly what I wanted! I'll have a shot at editing it tomorrow, it's pretty late for me now :) I

Helpful Bot

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:19 pm
Aw that reminds me of a really really old animation of mine I made for a game...maybe it helps?

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:47:49 pm
Aw that reminds me of a really really old animation of mine I made for a game...maybe it helps?

so much better than mine...I might try and do a higher res sprite. I decided to ditch the animation wholly, I need to work more on form and shading before I start trying more technical things.