AuthorTopic: Random pixels  (Read 21162 times)

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Random pixels

on: June 05, 2006, 12:27:28 am
I feel like doing pixels again atm and I plan on posting stuff in this thread from time to time. C&C welcome as usual.

Some pictures to start things off:

It's a couple of months old in fact, but I felt like 3 pics would be needed to justify a thread ;) I couldn't get the legs right so I just cut them off ... yea, I'm a lazy bastard.

This was a quick one (1.5h), I didn't feel like spending time on details. I just made it to visualize the idea I had in my mind. Not the greatest palette either ...

I made this one to practice sprites a little, I usually only do larger stuff.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: Random pixels

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 12:59:47 pm
1st sprite: shading on the wall instead of different shades of red per block would give it more detail.that is, if you want detail.
2nd: i like it.
3rd: grat shading, but shouldn't be the gun and the holster be on the same side of his body?
other than that, great works, dude.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline robotriot

• View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:57:54 pm
Yea you're right about the wall, at the time I just wanted to keep the colourcount low, so I used the sprite's colours for the background as well.

Actually, he's got two holsters, but I agree, it isn't really visible or anything ;) I added a couple of pixels for the second holster and did a background while I was at it:

Needs some more tweaking though, the sprite blends in too much. Plus it uses a lot of colours ;)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:08:41 pm
As i see it, the reason why the sprite blends into the background is because it has a lower contrast than the bg. The darkest tones on the bg go down to like a 10% luminance, while the sprite's darkest ones to 40%. Maybe reverse that, or bump the contrast on the sprite (you could go almost all the way up to white on the highlights, since it's in broad daylight in good ole Texas).

On the first animation, shame on you for coming to such lows. It's a nice power strut, but i'd like some legs with that, sir.

The second pic is serious ownage. Palette's a bit low on contrast to be viewed at 1x, but the idea and execution is very very nice. Wallpaper worthy material :)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 02:42:50 am
Good lord...
I cannot put into words how awesome that 2nd pic is, conceptually.

Oh, a crit: for the aforementioned awesomeness, It'd be cool if you lit the "Hips" up just a bit, like you did the arm(s).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 02:59:25 am by Xion Night »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 02:47:04 am
I think you should call it "Main Screen Turn On".

Offline robotriot

• View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:57:57 pm
Thanks for your comments, Turbo and Xion. Here's the final version for the cowboy scene:

I changed the cowboy's highlight to white and desaturated the background a little. Plus there's a horsey and the antagonist :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:41 pm
I think the second picture was in serious need of an edit:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 11:28:48 pm
Thanks for your comments, Turbo and Xion. Here's the final version for the cowboy scene:

I changed the cowboy's highlight to white and desaturated the background a little. Plus there's a horsey and the antagonist :)

Ayii!!! The bad guy's forward leg blends into the background way too much. I didn't even see it at first. It's a grey [leg] in front of a grey building. The building is detailed and the leg is as well. Ya know what happens under those circumstances, right? Also, the foot blends in with the ground as well. The legs look at odd angles, and, again with the forward leg, it's knee isn't too obvious. Everything else is vury purty, though.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 07:03:15 am
I think it's brilliant. Nice details and a cool, gritty feeling overall. The only thing that bugs me is that some of the building details feel a bit flat (saloon railings," roof" on the grey building), but that's probably just due to the perspective.