AuthorTopic: Dwarf Fortress Sprites - dwarves, tree, boulder, grass  (Read 12495 times)

Offline mikemayday

• View Profile

Re: Dwarf Fortress Sprites - dwarves, tree, boulder.

Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:03 pm
Yeah... with crits from Pixeljoint I've been through quite a few iterations now, but I'm not happy with any of them in the end. They ARE supposed to be viewed at 1X.
Maybe it helps that they're supposed to be viewed on a darker background in the game? Anyway, try these:

I actually prefer them with the darker armour and brighter weapons.

And also, here's my try at a grass tile:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:15:42 pm by mikemayday »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Dwarf Fortress Sprites - dwarves, tree, boulder, grass

Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 09:52:52 am
Wow that grass looks great!

For the tree animation, it looks really off..
If you imagine the wind blowing at the leaves, it needs to be gradual from one side to the other, instead of all the leaves suddenly twitching in one direction and back.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 07:30:09 am
For the tree animation, it looks really off..
If you imagine the wind blowing at the leaves, it needs to be gradual from one side to the other, instead of all the leaves suddenly twitching in one direction and back.
That's true when a breeze first starts pushing a tree, I guess, but while the tree's actually being blown on, the leaves just jiggle around everywhere randomly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWhFyYFC1k

His tree animation is pretty decent as-is, imo. It'd be better if the outline actually moved, though.
And of course it'd be even better if it had intro and outro frames for when the breeze starts and ends, like you said.

I'm not sure about the grass, though. I understand you're using symbols for your trees and enemies and stuff, so their relatives sizes aren't going to make any sense, but having the grass texture so large looks very strange to me. Don't most games with maps panned this far out just have basically flat green surfaces for grass? That's basically all you should see of grass from so far away, anyway...

I think something more along those lines would work better for what you're doing!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:32:55 am by jams0988 »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:22 pm
I did a screen capture from an emulator of that same scene, 'cus I felt like it and thought an unsmoothened reference picture could provide better info.

Other than that, I'd like to say that I really like seeing such nice art for Dwarf Fortress! Keep it up.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag