AuthorTopic: [WIP] A wild Dragon WIP appears.  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

[WIP] A wild Dragon WIP appears.

on: March 02, 2012, 03:41:38 pm
Oh eeeeeeyh Pixeler... Pixelaters... Pixelationners... guys.

First post here !
Well, uh, I guess I should say hi and introduce me first uh... oh well, wait a sec please.

[...]

Okay! Done.

Now, to the subject :

Lunch break was, like, fun today. I was doodling and ended up here after an hour or two.
I'm definitively going to finish it, but I thought I could ask for some advices, since I won't be able to complete it soon...
Obviously, I've been mostly working on horn's shading.
I have no idea how I'm going to represent scales on the head. Apart from that, I was just hoping for random advices, or people pointing errors I may have been doing.

Oh, and this is heavily inspired from a random drawing I found on tumblr. Sadly, I have no idea who's the author.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:50:49 pm by Ellian »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] A wild Dragon WIP appears.

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:18:32 pm
Well if you want to do scales, it helps to look that shit up.
Scales can be nice and structured and big completely erratic and tiny or a mix of both.

Whatever you do, make sure it follows the shape of the body.

Also, try to conserve colors. Your picture uses 15 colors while mine uses 9.
Try to avoid tiny clusters with unique colors.

And don't post resized things., we can zoom by clicking and shift+clicking here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:22:50 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:28 pm
Well, thanks alot !
I've been quiet all this time cause I've been busy, but I had some time to finish it recently.

I reduced the color count to 10, and while I'm sure it could be better, I'm pleased with my final result.

Again, thanks alot ! :)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:24 pm
I think the rendering on the head is fine, but the horns in particular are kind of unstructured and wobbly. Look at some pictures of goat horns, and how they have little ridges and shapes which help to make their twists and turns readable.

I prefer not having to click to zoom myself. I don't like the blur (it's back in full force) or having to go in and edit bla bla settings to get rid of it, temporarily. When crossposting 2x is handy too.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:27:52 pm
Well the fact is that I wanted those horns to look weird and unstructured; I wanted to do something unusual for a change. Based on your comment, I kinda failed, but I'm still happy with the result. I did understand the part about twisting and turning... just wanted to it that way.
Thanks for the criticism nonetheless!

Anyway, here's a x2 version just for you :

You should look around tho, there are supposed to be fix for Firefox/chrome blurring problems. :)