AuthorTopic: GR#097 - Musclecat - Feline Anatomy  (Read 14080 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: The return of the amazing Musclecat

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:20:51 am
Massive improvement imo ;D

I still think you might be missing one of the triceps (look at the 'v' dividing the three heads in the flayed lioness ref.) Lots of potential to play with colours and fur rendering etc. if you wanted, looks great.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:14:00 am
I'm not sure which one's better, honestly. The newest one might be the most realistic (I don't know, since I don't know cat anatomy!), but the first one has more character and looks more believable to me. He looks like a hell cat straight out of a Castlevania game or something. The first one looks much scarier, especially in the face. You should add the wrinkles on his nose to the new version, methinks. It was a great effect you had going on.

Or you could just call the piece finished. Both versions are really good, and I'm sure it was a lot of practice for you, regardless of which one is superior. It's a tough call for me right now, though.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:27 am
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:12 am
Yeah, this one's looking pretty cool, even though it doesn't look like you did much besides adding that sweet shading effect.
Purple one still has the best face/neck for me, though.

Also, the way his head is positioned now, hiding more of his leg, it makes it a little harder to tell how his front left leg is bending. Takes away from his pose a little, I think. Then again, in the old one you had that weird tangent that was making it look like his leg was growing out of his face. Maybe you should try adding a little space between his head and his back leg? Even if it's just a few pixels where his leg bends, I think it might make a big difference.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:24:34 am by jams0988 »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:32 pm
I do not see what the deal about the face is since I barely changed anything besides making it look less flat.
Making it look flat for some unquantified gain is not going to happen.

Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 05:10:54 pm
Edit: Comment redacted. Came off as a bit more hostile than I intended. Sorry, mate!

Anyway, the main problem I had with the face before was that you got rid of the wrinkles on the nose. You've actually kind of brought them back again, thanks to the new shading effect you've added. I think he's looking pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:05:14 am by jams0988 »