AuthorTopic: 2D Sidescrolling Zombie Survival game Main character WIP - Critique needed.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile
I would like some critique on this character Im going to use in a 2D side-scrolling Zombie apocalypse game please.
This is the first time Im really trying NOT to use a black outline around everything and Im finding it really hard TBH. Any advice, examples or edits will be much appreciated.
I would like advice on everything really...light source, shading, colours etc etc.

This is not a sprite I made from scratch though, and is instead an edit from a SEGA CD game character from 'The Terminator'.
I hope that is OK. Im not planning to make money off the game or anything like that...just doing it as a hobby.

Anyway, heres the main character -

And here is the ORIGINAL sprite from The Terminator(SEGA CD) -

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:26:40 pm by skeme_IN5 »
Come in peace or leave in pieces

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
First of all, your sprite is nice! Good work. You don't really need the Sega CD Terminator base, you seem to be doing good enough on your own. Please consider the following points, as illustrated by the edit below.

1. The real estate of a single pixel width line at this resolution is frankly, huge. You are for example, illustrating a zipper on the pants. Consider the relative size of that line were the sprite art to be blown up at real size. That zipper would be 5 centimeters thick. Instead consider occluding detail and omitting A LOT more of the lineart. This doesn't mean a zipper needs to be less than a single pixel thick (how would we be able to do this anyway I don't know) but that the line's color can be softer, closer to the back shade so it doesn't scream HI I AM LINEART!

2. Flats and less complicated shades read much better at the resolution, and the pixel shapes ( or 'clusters' if you like my terminology) are much more elegant when not so many different colors are battling for the same spaces. Simplify, simplify. Sadly, this step is not easy to explain or easy to pull off, there needs to be cumulative experience over years of pixelling to explain the choices I made in the edit. If that part of my critique is lacking, I apologize.

3. My version has a smaller palette, which allows me paradoxically more options and more control. I use a lot of subtle tints which which you might or might not like, but just to illustrate the point that they are possible, with a much smaller palette, if you ramp your colors smartly. Investigate in detail in your pixel art program to see the differences.

4. I love my two cats.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:34:06 pm by Helm »

Offline skeme_IN5

• View Profile
@ helm - Woah! Incredible edit! Absolutely perfect, my friend. I think I understand all that youre saying and will try to emulate it all as much as I can in my work from now on. Im gonna study your edit closely.
But like you said, I think its going to come down to experience in the end, because I know quite a lot of the 'philosophy' but I find it hard to put into practice at the moment.
LMAO at number 4! Strange thing is I just started work on an animated cat sprite for my game and put two cats next to each other in the game lol
Anyway, thank you very much for the advice and edit.
Come in peace or leave in pieces

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Glad to have helped and yes, keep at it. Experience in the end is the deciding factor, if you already know 'the gospel' so to speak.