AuthorTopic: [WIP] Things That Are Not Lizard People  (Read 25455 times)

Offline VisMaior

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Lizard People

Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 09:13:26 am
I really like the current design, but if you go for lizard look, you will need some edits, I think.
1. Lizards have no ears. You would be better off to change them into some horns or somesuch. Lots of lizards have skin protrusions.
2. The legs. Lizards do not walk on their toes (except for some dinos I guess) It could stay, but IMHO walking on palms is more lizardly.
3. The scalyness. The current, smooth texture just doesnt communicate lizard to me. 

I really like the current design, but they read to me as mice people.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Things That Are Not Lizard People

Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 06:37:53 pm
^Yup, I've been reading mice people the whole thread, too.
Not that the sprites look bad. They just don't look very lizardy to me.

Also, love the new avatar, 9_6. Very cool looking. =)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:39:32 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 02:26:34 am
You're on fire at the moment, :y: ton of work, swag new avatars and edits to boot.

The portly blue guy with the knife & fork weapons is pretty amusing although his head still looks a little strange in straight profile whilst the rest of his body is in 3 quarters, I almost parse him as a cyclops in full frontal. I was just going to edit that in but I have poor impulse control so I doodled a whole bunch of other stuff too because I really like the idea. In addition I think his arms are a bit short, particulary in the wrist, the purple I don't think works for the metal in shadow nor the yellow for the loin cloth; it's just too big a jump and I'd offset the feet more (vertically) in adherance to the perspective as well as remove the outlining from the soles to better integrate him into the ground.

The awesome hair-do conjured up this quite specific image of a bearded dragon Samurai, thats really my only excuse for all the stylistic stuff. If you still wanted to go more lizardy that's just kinda what I'd do.

Eagerly awaiting the complete scene, hopefully complete with Massiveaxe McMuscles as player-character :P.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:20 am
I was kinda done with the fat one I thought.
Now that you point towards the arm, that pixel perfectly vertically cut off arm does look rather odd I guess and it is a bit on the short side.
*sigh*

Regarding perspective, yeah that's pretty much how the sprites in the original golden axe were, almost frontal. Sometimes. Not always.
I always found that quirk to be rather odd.

I think that was because they used different walk animations for up- and down movement.
Walking straight forward by default has the "walk down" animation which just looks pretty weird sometimes so that's not something I might want, is it?

Golden axe 3 went sideview-walk only which pretty much fixed that.

Also notice how the shadow on the spear guy is all wrong?
I don't think placing the legs on too different levels vertically is that much of a good idea.

they read to me as mice people.
They just don't look very lizardy to me.

I already said something about that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:41:00 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 07:00:47 pm
Ha, I don't know much of the original's limitations you want to, or should imitate; there's certainly a lot of pretty poor or just plain weird technique in GA by modern standards and your sprites are already a lot more tasteful (the pink bird-shrimp-scooters :P). I just think the current head looks kinda cubist; perhaps it's because both nostrils are visable and the mouth is so curved as it might be from the front.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 04:25:14 am

Took a stab at making this character more reptilian.
May be a bit more iconic than what you are going for.
Also yours gives off a female vibe, which my edit does not help at all.
Sorry bout that!
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1