AuthorTopic: Personal sprite experiment  (Read 3882 times)

Offline The KKM

• View Profile

Personal sprite experiment

on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:06 am
UPDATE:

Done this sprite in the style used on The Spriter's Resource "The Fighter's Resource" project. Using only the pallete available, outlines on the outside, simplistic shading that serves more to distinguish limbs.

OLD:

Have Medabots. I'm having issues with doing Ikki's (the boy) arm and hair. Trying to follow the show's rules of "humans have no shading, but robots do". Still need to make the body for all those KBT models there.

The Sonic's there for size ref.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:36:43 pm by The KKM »

Offline The KKM

• View Profile

Re: Bored, experimenting sprites - Medabots

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:35:38 pm

Done this sprite in the style used on The Spriter's Resource "The Fighter's Resource" project. Using only the pallete available, outlines on the outside, simplistic shading that serves more to distinguish limbs.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Personal sprite experiment

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:14:17 pm
I'm a bit puzzled to figure out what is yours and what is reference, here. No offense intended, just that I suppose you don't need criticism on e.g. pixels ripped out of SEGA game art to improve your skills. The "simplistic shading that serves more to distinguish limbs" stops working as soon as your character legs move as much as you do on the green-framed animation, imho. Esp, the left tight should get more light, at least.

Offline The KKM

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 04:02:30 pm
Hmm? Oh, the reference was simply for size. I like having my sprites around the 30 to 50 px-tall high, and Sonic is 39, a handy marker. Nothing else.

TBH I'm not very happy with the animation yet. This is how it animates:

It's jitterish and the hand movement looks odd and unrefined. Still, it's something to work off from, I suppose. I'll look into your point about the legs tonight.

EDIT: Also that car in a 90º degree isn't mine too. It's there for me to try to figure how to shade the fridge, but it's not helping much. Probably because I'm sleepy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:04:07 pm by The KKM »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:55:04 pm

Not so sure what these light pixels between the dark and light shade are accomplishing? They are making the edges very rough and impractical for the material you're trying to portray.  I honestly feel you could go without these.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:50 pm
So here's your dude:

The character gives off the appearance of being suspended:

This is commonly referred to as a Pivot or Hitch.

Manipulate the position and timing of your drawings:

There is no need to add extra drawing at this point.
Just figure out the basic motion.

Then start to change forms of the character that supplement the motion:

Here I've decided to make his legs stretch out to meet contact with ground as he goes down and as he pushes off.
This also added a bit more height to his hop and gave me a couple more frames to adjust the overall timing.

With more passes you can add other details such as follow through:

A quick pass can serve as a guide even if it is not perfect.
Sorry but I don't have time to finish it off completely.

The resulting motion you decide to create could be very different.
Just make some decisions and go for it.

Read this:
http://minyos.its.rmit.edu.au/aim/a_notes/anim_principles.html

Although it does not cover all the techniques available, it is a solid foundation.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:13:49 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline The KKM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:16 pm
Whoa, that's...  :'( It's just beautiful, man.

@Rydin- I always felt certain cloth like, well, felt, tend to have a slight sheen near their shadows? I don't know, I was experimenting. It doesn't look that good though.

@PixelPiledriver- I'll keep these beautiful examples and the link you gave in mind. Mind you, the use I'm thinking on giving these sort of requires using only 4 frames for animation, if possible, but my issues were more of animating in general so your post is still pretty damn useful. Thanks.