AuthorTopic: 32x32 Grass design / colors / structure critique  (Read 4275 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

32x32 Grass design / colors / structure critique

on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:54 am
Hi, I wanna know what's your take on this 32x32 tile I made. Let me know mostly about color choice / structure design and well any mistake I made and or that could improve it. Feel free to edit it as much as you want, also if you do a recolor, can you use the palette I'm using? I wanna see what colors make this better. Thanks.

32x32
Grass tile 1 experiment (5-8 minutes process work)

Grass tile 2 experiment (8-10 mins process)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:48:01 am by CharlesGabriel »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: 32x32 Grass design / colors / structure critique

Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:54:09 am
There are no glaring faults. It tiles decently well. It looks more like thick moss than grass to me, though. It's because you have so many globular highlights everywhere, packed so closely together. It looks very springy and mushy and thick, which is kind of cool, but not especially grass like.

I'd say more, but then I'd be spending more time on my critique than you did making it, which doesn't seem fair to me. Perhaps you would have found a better solution by yourself if you spent more time than the average smoke break making it? =P

Looking forward to the next update, though. Cheers! =)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:49 am
You need to thin out those blades of grass. It looks more like vines with leaves on them.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:50:16 am
There are no glaring faults. It tiles decently well. It looks more like thick moss than grass to me, though. It's because you have so many globular highlights everywhere, packed so closely together. It looks very springy and mushy and thick, which is kind of cool, but not especially grass like.

I'd say more, but then I'd be spending more time on my critique than you did making it, which doesn't seem fair to me. Perhaps you would have found a better solution by yourself if you spent more time than the average smoke break making it? =P

Looking forward to the next update, though. Cheers! =)

Thanks for the critique. I will adjust the first tile and make it look more like grass. And yeah haha, I can do tiles pretty fast, though I will be spending more than the average time to make sure they look the best as far as my skill go. :D

You need to thin out those blades of grass. It looks more like vines with leaves on them.

Will do. Gonna post it on the next update.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:00 pm
Was the second one there before? It looks much more grasslike than the first one. It still looks like incredibly thick, smooshy grass, but that might be what you're going for, and it looks appealing, at any rate. =)

I think you could still tone down the highlights a bit, though. It could still read easier as grass, I think, if you toned down the highlights.