AuthorTopic: Heh, critique a newbie's WIP sprite template  (Read 3537 times)

Offline sadrius

• View Profile

Heh, critique a newbie's WIP sprite template

on: May 14, 2006, 02:54:12 am
Hello all.  As you can see, I'm new here.  I used to lurk (and occasionally post) on the Pixelation board back around four years ago, and I'm guessing that Pixelation dropped off the face of the Earth and everyone migrated here.  Anyway, I'm working on a tiny classic RPG, and I need some C&C on a 16x16 sprite template.  I'm happy with the North and South frames, but can't seem to get the arms right in the East/West frames.  Feel free to do some edits if you'd like--I need all the help I can get.

By the way, the North and South animations seem to have this "hop" in the walking... I kinda like it, actually.  Any idea how I can replicate the same feel for the East and West animations?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Heh, critique a newbie's WIP sprite template

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:32:56 am
welcome to pixelopolis :)

the hop you are talking about comes from the line thats created opposite of the leg going up, something you really cant emulate with the east/west animations

with this being a template, theres nothing much to crit on.
i dont see anything wrong with the side anims, other than they are missing an ear.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 05:35:32 pm
http://www.gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=gameboyadvance&game=pokemon_ruby_sapphire&type=sprites&level0=animated

Have a look at those, they're very close to yours. First of all the head has to go up and down for a realistic walking animation. Only leave the head bob out if you really have to. Second, the arms look too stiff on the north and south animations, and the swing of them is a little large on the east animation. Also, you're working very small, try working a little bigger if you are new to animation...

Example:

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:35:10 am
the "hop" on the N&S anims is because the feet don't touch the ground.
to do this on the E&W anims, you have to make the legs shorter when they are fully stretched like this: ^, so that the sprite looks hopping. but like what Gil said, you could make the feet touch the ground at all times, and make his whole body bob, i think that's how it is done.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.