AuthorTopic: I'm stuck, what do I do? what do I do!? haha  (Read 2020 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

I'm stuck, what do I do? what do I do!? haha

on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:10 pm
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I check out the community. I'm still a pixel artist haha, though I haven't done huge amounts of pixel art in the past months which have made me a victim of a certain common situation that I hope I learn more about it by sharing it with you all. Okay, you know how for example, you attempt to make a grass tile, and you fail and fail again... only then to find a tutorial about making grass tiles that you then read up and try again which ultimately allow you to get the grass tile done and past this obstacle... but then you have to make another grass tile and the same thing goes on, it just makes you question if there is something more than just studying tutorials that you need.

I have some art books that I'm down to studying to further my understanding of art, but my question is, is that what it's all about with pixel art? as someone who is still in that stage of say "learning the basic / intermediate / semi-advanced stuff"...? do I have to go read up a tutorial each and every single time I try something of new? (such as a grass tile which I consider mid level difficulty) Or can I just suck up a 300-400 page art book and bypass this practice? What do you do to get unstuck when stuck? and how did you learned to make all of these art assets, did you read art books? did you go to school? I have all these questions that I wanna know, to know if there is a better way of learning / practicing / studying than the way I do at this point, you know, to make things more effective in overall.

Thanks in advance.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: I'm stuck, what do I do? what do I do!? haha

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:57 pm
You could practice drawing structures, study references etc.
Just reading a book will get you nowhere, you have to draw to build up an understanding of the structure you want to convey.

Making a c&c topic here helps identifying mistakes you on your own wouldn't be able to see.
So that can help a lot with learning too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:45:26 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix